which side of the bay/sound - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By barefoot
  • 1 Post By panhandleslim
  • 1 Post By TeaSea
  • 1 Post By barefoot

Old 04-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Trigger

Default which side of the bay/sound

does one side produce more than the others and why? Does it have to do with wind direction? I'm just curious because I've seen people saying the NE side of Navarre sound is hot and I'm just curious what makes a side more appealing than the other to the fish.
New2ThaSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
White Marlin

Hopefully you'll get some good feedback with this as I've been trying to figure that out myself. I know early in the Spring the North side of the Sound will heat up quicker with the angle of the Sun hitting it directly. I'm sure wind and tide have a lot to do with it too.
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
White Marlin

How to Read Water-101
Barefoot's opinion, There are always exceptions, but as a general rule....

The N & NW portions of almost all lakes and bodies water warm faster than others.
Our winds are predominately E, SE, S, SW.

Wind will make one side shallower than the other, wind will blow bait, weeds, etc. which will bring the larger predators.

Look at the bank of the body of water, if the shoreline slowly merges w/ the water, it will be shallow. Conversely if there is a steeper drop from shore to water, it will be deeper.
A depth change of only a foot or two can and will make a difference.

Tides and water movement play a huge role in where to start looking for fish. As with wind, tidal movement moves bait, larger fish, etc.

Both S. & N sides of the sound can be good, pay attention to subtle clues nature will give you.

Are birds perched or sitting on the water more on one side vs. the other...animals like most humans are lazy by nature and don't want to work hard for their dinner. Many fishermen miss signs of fish activity...it may be only a small dimple made on the surface, but that indicates fish activity.

Obviously, if fish are busting the surface get there as quickly and quietly as possible before the bait moves or the fish get spooked.

The BIGGEST mistake I see folks make and this even goes for some guides, they haul butt into a place, stopping just a few yards, 50 or less from their targeted area.

I will either set myself up to drift into an area or shut-down my main motor as many as a 100-200 yards form my targeted area. Remember fish feed and protect themselves using vibrations and sounds...we are usually fishing in less than 6 ft. of water.

Look for growing grass vs. dead or brown grass on the shoreline; look for growing under-water grass beds and fish the potholes or open spots; look for crabs, shrimps, minnows, etc., all these will start the food cycle.

There are many...many more clues and tips, that come from a lot of time on the water.

When you are in an area that is producing...play detective...WHY are the fish here, put those clues together and duplicate the area.

Good luck
Barefoot
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
White Marlin

It's not that far across. Just follow the bait, once you are in there. The points regarding angle of sun are true in Winter. Continuing wind from a prevailing direction does cause bait to go that way because they don't want to fight current. At other times, when fish, like trout are trying to spawn, I like places that are out of the wind. Dark bottom gets warmer faster. Spend days on the water and all these things will become evident to you if you pay attention.
New2ThaSport likes this.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Sailfish

Good thread. All the little bits of wisdom and observation add up
New2ThaSport likes this.
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
White Marlin

Also, look for fish slicks, this is when bait and other fish are schooling and they bump not each other, releasing some of their natural slime which floats to the surface as an oily spot. If you're close to these cast in that direction.

Mullet jumping can indicate fish activity also.
New2ThaSport likes this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Trigger

thanks everyone!
New2ThaSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in