Shimano Stradic reel - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Shimano Stradic reel

I really like the Shimano Stradic reels. I have heard they are some of the better quality Inshore reels. I want to use this reel for Inshore fishing use. Reds, Specs, etc... I don't want one that is over kill and that takes all the fun out of fighting a fish on light tackle but I do want it big enough to handle bull reds of the larger size. Which size of the Stradic is ideal for this use. Also I'm looking to pair it up with a good pole. Any suggestions would be great.
SALTLIFE34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Shimano Stradic reel

either a stradic 2500 or 3000 preferably the 3000 with the bigger spool and a 7'-7'6" rod
Sam Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Snapper

I use the 3000 on a calcuta rod, it's a very good reel/setup.
seacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Grouper

I use 3000's all the time. I love em. The only thing I dont like, is that the bail binds a little sometimes. But that is the only issue I have had out of them and I used them in 15+ redfish tournaments last year.
Fish Happens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Trigger

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Check out Quantum's different reels.It's prettymuch all I use. There is a guy selling some Catalyst reels on the forum at a great price. I would defiantly check them out. I use Catalyst 20?s for most of my inshore stuff. I?m getting 4 of the 30?s from him for other applications. I also use Cabo's and Boca's for different types of fishing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
Not that the Shamino Stradic?s are not good reels, they are, but I really like my Quantum?s.
user10309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Capt John,

The reason I have been looking to buy a Shimano Stradic reel is because it seems like every bait shop I walk in they seem to all say Shimano Stradics are the best. They all preach how tough, durable they are and how well they hold up in the Saltwater. I have never owned a Shimano but I have 3 Quantum Energy PT baitcast reels that I really like. Are the Quantums as tough and friable as the Shimano? How are their drag systems? Which quantum would you suggest for inshore... Catalyst, Boca, or Cabo?
SALTLIFE34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Are you boat fishing or wade fishing? If you are boat fishing then a 3000 will do perfect if you are wading then think 4000 for extra line capacity.I have almost been stripped clean twice wade fishing with a 4000 Spheros. ButI would say the fish were in the 40# range.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Grouper

yo man you really can't go wrong with the stratic! Take yourself to hotspots and talk to chris matt or john just say your a forum member and they will hook you up and do you right
Sam Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Trigger

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Its funny how different regions like different styles of reels<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">With Quantum reels it really depends upon what style of fishing you are going to do.<o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I use the 20's for my clients to make them feel comfortableit's light, and it?s a small reel and it's great for trout and slot reds. The Boca's are used for sheepshead fishing and the bull reds. They are not as smooth as the Catalysts reels. The Boca?s are great reels and I?ve never had a problem with them the Catalysts reels have 8 bearings and the Boca?s have 5 bearings. The Boca?s are a little heaver not sure why, but they are.
Now don?t think that the Catalysts aren?t durable they are I?ve not had any trouble out of them either.
I also have some Cabo?s and I like them a lot. Only thing is they are a bit heavy other than that no complaints.<o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Correction made at 2:50pm<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I said the drags are magnetic.. I ment the bail.. The drags are the same system in the Cabo?s and Boca?s.. not sure what they are made of I'm sure it's on there website.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Sorry for the confusion..<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Not sure about the Catalysts I?m sure they are close, because I?ve hooked a few bull reds on the 20?s not trying to and the drags worked like a charm.<o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
The bails are magnetic and will never wear out has a lifetime warranty on breakage. I?ve never had one break and trust me they get a lot of use.<o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">If I were to get a good inshore reel for trout and reds I would defiantly contact the guy who is selling the Catalysts and get you one of the 30?s you could go with the 40?s if you want the only difference is the spool, but with today?s braids you will have no problem with the 30 spool or you could get one 30 an one 40.<o></o>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
Good luck.
user10309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Trigger

If you are going to be fighting big reds, I would go the 4000. I use those size spooled with 12 lb and catch specks and reds. That size line is a bit better around docks and rocks and won't break as easy as lighter line and can handle big reds.
BullBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in