Sheepshead - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Sheepshead

I've been seeing some nice ones but they wont touch my bait... I've used shrimp too. Any tips? Also, anyone know good rigs for them? the pins always end up taking my bait... Thanks. All replies much appreciated.
pcolabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Grouper

usually with Sheepshead you have to hide the hook. They are very weary about hooks in the bait. and they bite very light so its hard to tell sometimes when they hit. If its slack tide or a slow moving tide I use a smaller hook with two or three split shots about 6 to 10 inches above it. If the tide is moving fast then use a half ounce to an ounce. Hope this has helped.
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Mingo

Thank you. =]

Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Usually peoples problem with catching them is hook size, use the smallest hook you can get away with. Also if your fishing a bridge I usually bring something to scrape the barnicles from the pillings. It works like chum. Have you tried crab claws or barnicles? Sand Fleas are the number 1 bait for targeting them usually. I also usually use a 2 hook rig. Also make sure your hooks a sharp, they have though mouths.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Sailfish

Default sheephead

Ive seen people fishing with heavy cane poles around bridge pilings and hoisting them out like tuna. bessie that ran jims fish camp taught me this. use flyrods small hooks light line with short leaders, quill corks. I used bream busters with ultalight spinning reels 6 lb line short 12lb leader small sheephead hook. when this didnt work i fished on bottom with small slider rig same without cork. Her son fished commercial around old trestle with flyrod. these came from escambia river, x,sSheepshead-fish-020-jpg

Sheepshead-fish-021-jpg

Sheepshead-fish-024-jpg

Sheepshead-fish-025-jpg
20simmons sea skiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Sailfish

Default Sheepshead

I use a 1/2" fluorescent orange pom-pom on a #1 'J' hook shank just in front of a piece of fresh cut shrimp with a heavy inline sinker about 6"(may vary) on the line ahead of the hook. I do use monofilament.

A long rod definitely gives a better bait placement and control as well as leverage to land them.

Strike just before you feel the bite. JMHO C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Trigger

i prefer to use a kahle hook they are closest to circle hook and they work really great with the splitshots about16 in from my bait. always had good luck catching them but when the sheepies wont bite i go for the black drum
thecalmbeforethestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Mingo

I don't know if its legal down there right now, but my favorite bait for sheepshead are small, to medium hermit crabs, on a small jig, 1/16th-1/8th. I cracked the shells, removed the crab whole, and kicking, watch out for pincers, and hooked the jig in the middle seam with the point buried in the head. I have filled up coolers with this method. Plus, the crabs are free. Never saw anything about this being illegal. I imagine this would work on a small circle hook.
pole squeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Trigger

i perfer using J hooks rather than circles because with sheepshead you usually have to jerk to set the hook instead of just applying pressure so J hooks work better for me

Just my 2 cents though
Reel Wins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Mingo

Thanks a lot guys!! I appreciate the tips.

I dont know why using hermit crabs for bait would be illegal... they're not endangered or anything. That would be like making it illegal to catch bull minnows haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in