Schooling specs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Splittine
  • 2 Post By JesseJames60
  • 1 Post By barefoot

Old 08-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Schooling specs

This is the second time it's happened too. Out fishing and come across a big school of specs. Problem is, everyone I catch is 10-14". I literally caught 40+ specs yesterday, and all were short. I was getting a hit almost every cast. I tried fishing the outer edge of where the school seemed to be, and that's where the 13-14" were, but casting a little outside that yielded no bites.

My question is are there usually bigger specs with that school? If so, where are they generally located in the school?

Thanks
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

The smaller fish school together like that. The bigger ones are hard pressed to be in that school. Most of the big ones I've caught seem to be alone or with just a couple more fish.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I had the same issue Tuesday. Could have sworn i was catching the same three fish.
JesseJames60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
White Marlin

Josh;

Here's my take on that issue. it doesn't apply in all cases exactly like this but as a rule of thumb (for me anyway).

1st: if catching just small specks, fish deeper in the same general area or conditions

2nd: I've found larger specs hanging nearby smaller schools, mainly because large specs. eat small specks. If they can eat a large croaker n mullet they can eat a small spec.

3: if most are males, there could be 1-2 lager females nearby if close to or near a spawning moon.

I have only ran into a school of large trout once. My son & I set in one spot using top water and caught probably 2 dozen specs, between 17-23" before the school spooked.
SpeedoJosh likes this.

Last edited by barefoot; 08-03-2017 at 04:36 PM.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Grouper

Thanks for the insight. I slowly worked my way to the edge of the school looking for bigger ones. They got longer and fatter the closer to the edge, but they seemed to stop at 14". After that, nothing. I guess I can't complain though. Catching 40+ fish isn't necessarily a bad thing. These guys were unspookable too. Boat floated right in the center at one point and continued to catch them on all sides.
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

When I get into a big school of small guys like that, I normally put on a 1/2oz jig head and make the bait drop quicker on the outer edges. Pick a slot every now and then like that.
AscendAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in