Santa Rosa sound - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Santa Rosa sound

is there any good speck or red fishing in Santa Rosa sound..if so where is a good area,by boat
fishnsouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Grouper

This will be interesting thread....
dustyflair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

does that mean no good spots...or no one going to give up good spots

Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Snapper

Where there is grass will be good. I know, lots of grass out there too so where to start? Anywhere really. Just go where you see it and start fishing. After a while, you will find spots that seem to consistently attract fish more than others. Usually some hole slightly deeper than the surrounding, sand patch, or something that sets that small area apart. They call them honey holes, and you can find your own. When you do, keep it secret!

But every inch of grass has potential. Specs life cycle revolves around sea grass. They seldom move more than a few miles during their lives. They ARE there. You may make 100 hundred casts without a bite, and think they aren't there, but they are. Just got to get them to bite, or hope they are hungry.

Pick any 100 acre or so area of grass and get to know it. No reason to run 2 miles every time you don't get a bite right away. Just move 100 ft and try again. I really can't think of any beds in SRSO that are over fished.

And of course , you have to know your lures. Find several you know how to work, have confidence in, and stick with them.
SWAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAngler View Post
Where there is grass will be good. I know, lots of grass out there too so where to start? Anywhere really. Just go where you see it and start fishing. After a while, you will find spots that seem to consistently attract fish more than others. Usually some hole slightly deeper than the surrounding, sand patch, or something that sets that small area apart. They call them honey holes, and you can find your own. When you do, keep it secret!

But every inch of grass has potential. Specs life cycle revolves around sea grass. They seldom move more than a few miles during their lives. They ARE there. You may make 100 hundred casts without a bite, and think they aren't there, but they are. Just got to get them to bite, or hope they are hungry.

Pick any 100 acre or so area of grass and get to know it. No reason to run 2 miles every time you don't get a bite right away. Just move 100 ft and try again. I really can't think of any beds in SRSO that are over fished.

And of course , you have to know your lures. Find several you know how to work, have confidence in, and stick with them.
IME bouncing along the bottom the stuff that has a slight sinking presentation works in that area, because it mimics a bait fish feeding through the grass.
Yo-Zuri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Nobody wants to give any spots.....I fish SRSO almost exclusively and ive found that the spoil islands(small islands between mainland and the barrier island) are a good spot to set up. The reds and specks are on the northern shoreline of the (southmost)barrier island and the surrounding flats in the morning but leave by 8 or 9am. This is why I set up between the islands pretty much anytime after that. Because if theres one thing I can garuntee is that they will not stay on the flats all day.so they move north and have to go past the little islands to get back to the deep water of the main channel. By noon,you should be fishing directly in the channel or along the edge.I have trouble finding them just like we all do

.but to answer your actual question.... set up any where there is water movement and structure,try to understand how the current interacts with the bottom so you can guess which way fish are facing.

The main problem with the sound is because of its geography the fish are always moving.the channel and along it is a giant fish roadway.theyre on the flats when weather/human activity permits and then are right back in the channel. I still dont know if I answered your question but yeah dude
gulfcoastghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

thanks gulfcoastghost...i will be there all week maybe i will have it figured out by weeks end while watching BLUES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in