redfish outfit question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default redfish outfit question

Gonna go try to chase some bull reds and was wondering if yall thought my setup is up for the task. I have a 7 ft Abu Veritas rod medium heavy with a shimano stradic 2500 spooled with 20 power pro and about a 3 ft fluro leader tied with an Albright knot to my main line. Will be fishing soft plastics from a kayak. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
bhewie38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Shouldn't have a problem landing any with that setup if you're going to be using it from a yak! Granted it will take you a while to wear them out on a setup that light, but that's all part of the fun!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

I landed a 33-35"ish bull last Friday night from a yak on a very similar setup. Took about 15mins, but was a fun sleigh ride. You shouldn't have any issues with it. Have fun, be safe
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Sounds like a decent setup to me. Often my inshore "go to"s are a 3000 class spinning reel. But I do keep a 4000 or 5000 close by on the boat in case I see something big coming along, for the real monsters!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 04-11-2015 at 09:10 PM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Trigger

I would go with something heavier such as a 4000 class reel, so you don't wear the fish out to the point of exhaustation. The fish might swim away, but he won't be able to out swim flipper or a shark after a 20 minute light tackle battle. So it's best to get them in the boat in an ample amount of time and safely released.
FishFighter92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFighter92 View Post
I would go with something heavier such as a 4000 class reel, so you don't wear the fish out to the point of exhaustation. The fish might swim away, but he won't be able to out swim flipper or a shark after a 20 minute light tackle battle. So it's best to get them in the boat in an ample amount of time and safely released.
Yes, you can whip big fish on lighter gear but you also jeopardize a successful release as a result. If you are targeting bulls, I would recommend stepping up to 4000 class outfit loaded with 20-pound braid. Braid typically over-tests, so your 20 will actually be a little stronger.

Good luck and have fun.
silverking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Ok I agree with all that so my next question is what setup do yall use or could recommend looking in the 500 range for the combo. Thanks again
bhewie38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Sailfish

The first generation Abu Garcia Veritas lacks in back bone - however I have a 7'11" EX-HEAVY I'd trust. Veritas ll & Volatile would be better.

Let me know how ur Veritas works out fer ya. I have a 7'6" MED-HEAVY standing in a corner that I may rig up again...

Thx
Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Mingo

A Shimano Stradic or CI4 4000 matched to a Shimano Teramar MH rod would be my suggestion. Enough line capacity and backbone to handle the big girls.
silverking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Sailfish

Your combo will catch reds all day long. Bulls included if you set your drag appropriately and work the fish properly. I.e: set drag to 1/3rd of breaking strength. Keep the rod up at 45-60 degrees when the fish is running and then pump and reel as soon as the run stops. If that fish isn't taking line, then you should be taking it back!

If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new combo, then I'd say look at a 4000 sized reel on a little bit stiffer and longer rod. Something heavy action, fast or X-fast taper, in the 7'6"-ish range. Bring both with you and have them each rigged differently for different conditions. Ex: topwater on the lighter rod and 1/4oz jig on the other.

Good luck!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in