Redfish hooks for bait - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daphne Al
Posts: 1,346
Default Redfish hooks for bait

I been using standard #2 eagle claw kahle hooks and have been missing a good many fish(light drag pulling runs).I fish on the bottom were there's lots of shells and that dulls em I know,but are the super sharp expensive ones worth it?
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Young Pier Rat
Snapper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 510
Default

You might want to tighten your drag down a little more. I usually leave the drag as tight as I would want it while fighting a red. Just enough to pull drag if one takes off, but enough to be able to stop it
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Jackin' 'Em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Yaksquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Milton, FL
Posts: 1,864
Default

Expensive hooks are not necessary but are usually worth the money. However, if you haven't been able to hook anything at all there may be other factors besides hook sharpness.

As mentioned above your drag may be too light to get a good hook set. Remember that redfish have strong jaws capable of crushing crabs! A good rule of thumb is to tighten the drag to approx. 1/3rd of the line's breaking strength. I'd recommend doing it the first few times with a hand scale until you learn what the correct setting feels like by hand.

Also, your hook setting timing and technique may need work as well. In some cases, fish will pick up a bait but not necessarily swallow the whole thing. In this case they are picking it up to run off somewhere they feel comfortable actually swallowing it. Reds usually engulf something whole so this is not normally an issue but something to consider.

Besides the timing, be sure to set the hook firmly when the line is tight. Don't rear back and high-stick like Bill Dance and other TV bass fishermen because you're only using the tip of your rod. You should reel tight and shouldn't need to lift the rod tip much past your shoulder height to get a good hook-set. This allows you to use the backbone of the rod.

Good luck!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daphne Al
Posts: 1,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackin' 'Em Up View Post
You might want to tighten your drag down a little more. I usually leave the drag as tight as I would want it while fighting a red. Just enough to pull drag if one takes off, but enough to be able to stop it
It was fairly tight,I just use 15lb line and don't fish for the big ones.They would bend the pole over pulling.Just sayin,it wasn't wayyy loose.I felt several of them and the hook just pulled right out,never bit in.I just have started catching a few reds so that might just be how it goes.I hardly ever miss the sting rays and catfish though.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daphne Al
Posts: 1,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksquatch View Post
Expensive hooks are not necessary but are usually worth the money. However, if you haven't been able to hook anything at all there may be other factors besides hook sharpness.

As mentioned above your drag may be too light to get a good hook set. Remember that redfish have strong jaws capable of crushing crabs! A good rule of thumb is to tighten the drag to approx. 1/3rd of the line's breaking strength. I'd recommend doing it the first few times with a hand scale until you learn what the correct setting feels like by hand.

Also, your hook setting timing and technique may need work as well. In some cases, fish will pick up a bait but not necessarily swallow the whole thing. In this case they are picking it up to run off somewhere they feel comfortable actually swallowing it. Reds usually engulf something whole so this is not normally an issue but something to consider.

Besides the timing, be sure to set the hook firmly when the line is tight. Don't rear back and high-stick like Bill Dance and other TV bass fishermen because you're only using the tip of your rod. You should reel tight and shouldn't need to lift the rod tip much past your shoulder height to get a good hook-set. This allows you to use the backbone of the rod.

Good luck!
Alex
This helps^ I dont really have a technique yet,just get the pole out of the holder and pull.It feels like what you say,they have it all the way in their mouth and are swimming away cause I think I can feel if come out across bone sometimes.I dont miss always but enough to make me want to know why and what helps.Sounds like no magic hook exists though.

Last edited by scott44; 08-12-2014 at 09:49 PM.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Young Pier Rat
Snapper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott44 View Post
This helps^ I dont really have a technique yet,just get the pole out of the holder and pull.
If you're using a circle hook, do not set the hook. Just reel tight and hold on.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Jackin' 'Em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 232
Default

I have always use 4/0 to 6/0 circle hooks owner or gamakatsu brand and always had good experince with them. i dont think it realy matters where you hook your bait maybe but i hook near the tail or threw the nose of the bait. also half hitch has a sale on trokar hooks if you wanna go with a difrent brand 5 bucks a pack not that bad
noodlez94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daphne Al
Posts: 1,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackin' 'Em Up View Post
If you're using a circle hook, do not set the hook. Just reel tight and hold on.
Kahle hooks,I never was a circle hook fan but would try em again if they have wire ones,dont wanna kill my shrimp but have about decided redfish dont care like trout do.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daphne Al
Posts: 1,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlez94 View Post
I have always use 4/0 to 6/0 circle hooks owner or gamakatsu brand and always had good experince with them. i dont think it realy matters where you hook your bait maybe but i hook near the tail or threw the nose of the bait. also half hitch has a sale on trokar hooks if you wanna go with a difrent brand 5 bucks a pack not that bad
4/0 and 6/0 is huge ain't it?The fish I catch are low slots with some high's mixed in.I just been using #2 kahle like for trout.Maybe bigger is the ticket though.I like to be able to catch puppy drum,sheepies and trout too so don't need to get too big.

Last edited by scott44; 08-12-2014 at 10:27 PM.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Tcheeks38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 535
Default

If you use circle hooks you will not lose a redfish ever!!! 4/0 circle is the perfect size for reds even bulls but i would feel more comfortable with a 5/0 + for any red over 35" also you can still run a circle hook thru a shrimp without killing it. the smaller ones 4/0 and below are usually thin
noodlez94 likes this.
Tcheeks38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.