question for the forum... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default question for the forum...

I will piggy-back off Lyin Too's thread. I have been fishing Choctawhatchee Bay for many years. I fish once maybe twice a week and I have invested a lot of money in plastics, tackle etc... I have a boat and move around all over the bay. I have had an extremely tough time fishing inshore this year. I know the fresh water has to be a factor but even last year after the rains I still did pretty well. I see the live bait guys (guides etc.) doing pretty good with that. I try live bait and it drives me crazy sitting in one spot and I never seem to do well. I love to use plastics and would prefer to use that. Should I try and learn the live bait tactics.. or just get better with plastics? I believe you can catch them on plastics and understand this time of year(summer) is tough under any conditions, but just wanted some other opinions. I see (dabutcher) catches them pretty regular and he fishes a lot of the same lures, patterns I do but choctaw bay is not on par with the Pensacola, Blackwater bay areas. Just looking for ideas, feel free to chime in Im all ears! Thanks.
Destin Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
White Marlin

Hey Realtor;

Here's my biological interpretation of this spring's events...compare them to last yrs. you'll understand why our gulf region is experiencing poor inshore fishing in general and the more saline areas are producing well beyond normal.

Ok, early this yr., we had lots of rain storms about every 2-3 weeks, w/ lots of water...this pattern continued from Feb - till just recently. With as we all know, flash flooding in our area AS WELL as to our north.

This flooding coincided w/ the natural hatching of our local bait fish population, this hard rush of fresh waters flushed the eggs out of the brackish nesting sites into open water where they most likely perished.

Our area, Pensacola, Milton, Holley was hit in a trifecta of flooding w/ 3 large river systems that feed far from the north into our area. The result is fresh water species being caught in areas usually too salty for them and a lot of those dang slimy catfish!

In your area, they are killing the trout n reds fishing closer to the pass...or at least that's what I've heard, again…closer to real salty water.

We all basically use the same lures, fish the same areas, etc. Some differences that effect individual success: usually how stealthy/quiet you are, the ability to fish when the fish are biting and go where the fish are (meaning...where their food source is).

As for the live bait question...you can run-n-gun w/ live bait. Even I have broken out my dust covered bait traps and might just have to revert.

Again...my two cents...
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
White Marlin

...and to add to this...the bait fish are slowly returning to the upper bay systems. I see small fry hatching out in several places...w/ lots of small schoolie trout chasing them. Our oyster beds in all 3 of our river systems are still producing trout n reds...just have to be there when they are.

If I had to predict some normal patterns...late Aug. baring any floods.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the info.
Destin Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Default Poop!!

Look up the millions of gallons of raw poop that has spilled//been released in the Choctawhatchee in the last couple of years due to floods and large amounts of rain... makes one not want to fish there or go to Crab Island.... I think there is a direct correlation with the fish population. How this happens and there is no fix to the problem, is a politcal we are doing the best we can do...
USMCEOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in