Pinfish traps. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Pinfish traps.

Is buying a pinfish trap worth it? Where do you generally place them? How many do you normally catch? I was thinking about getting one so I can set it out over night and go early in the morning without having to catch any using a casting net or sabiki.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default pin fish trap

Traps work great but pin fish are like all other fish i.e. they have swpecific feeding patterns. I usually leave the trap overnight and catch 50 to 75. But sometimes I get only 5 or six. Thats fishing. I have a keeper pin and always have enough to fish. If i have a good catch I use the fresh catch. By the larger trap 3x3x3 I have found it consistanyly outcatches the smaller style. Good Luck
Liteline 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I have two of Trap Guy's pinfish traps, both are the offshore model. I don't have any experience with the mass made traps but I know that I can get a ton of bait out of these traps, usually one trap is plenty for a day of fishing. I have had days when the traps haven't had anything in them but like Liteline said thats fishing. I keep mine by a dock up in Avalon Beach.
mbe5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Sailfish

Default Pinfish Traps

Setting a trap is easy. Gathering your catch before some scumbag does is the next part.

You have to watch them like a hawk or (1) They'll steal your catch or (2) Steal both catch and trap. It could be the reason that 'you're not catching any'. Think about it.. C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Snapper

I have the trap guy offshore model and it works well. I use menhaden and cut each into three pieces. Usually get more than enough. Put two out and put them in different spots as one or the other seems to do much better each time.
Island24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in