Perdido Bay Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
FHD
Ruby Red Lip

Default Perdido Bay Fishing

New resident on Perdido Bay (still getting relocated) and wanted to find out what you've had success catching there in the bay and what baits you've been using. Also curious if anything will bite an artificial (top water?) lure? I'm on the Florida side toward the southern most portion of the bay and noticed on the depth charts that it doesn't get very deep throughout the entire bay. Still, I hear rumors (at the restaurants I've visited) of some pretty big fish in there. I have a small boat (not yet familiar with FLA boating regs) and a kayak and would love to get some input from the veterans out there on what has worked for you.

Thanks in advance!
FHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Grand Slam

I have fished the Perdido a "little" caught a few reds, specs, flounder, sting rays and a MILLION catfish. The upper end you can get Bass. Welcome to the area.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to MGuns

In and around Bayou Marcus, 11 Mile Creek and Perdido River I’ve caught bass, reds, trout, flounder, catfish and even pickerel back in the bayou. I usually use a chartreuse spinner bait, a white trick worm or a oz. silver spoon. There’s fish but sometimes they can be elusive and really make you work for them.

MGySgt USMC (Retired)
2016 NauticStar 224XTS

MGuns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
FHD
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the great information guys! I'm assuming tides do not vary much from high to low in the bay and also assuming that (in the bay) incoming or outgoing tides are not a major factor for best fishing times. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to MGuns

You definitely want moving water and usually dusk and dawn are the better times.

MGySgt USMC (Retired)
2016 NauticStar 224XTS

MGuns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
FHD
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGuns View Post
...usually dusk and dawn are the better times.
Thank you my friend! All the better for avoiding a sunburn! :-)
Realtor and Mac1528 like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Grand Slam

during the other times, I have done well in the lower Perdido Bay with cut bait, reds and the like. fun stuff. Post a few reports!! Good luck!
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
FHD
Ruby Red Lip

Default Follow-up...

Well, I finally got my wife and I moved in and got the kayak out on Perdido Bay to check out the fishing. I'm launching from the Innerarity Townhomes and have to paddle out several hundred yards just to get past the shallows.

I have seen a lot of top water feeding and decided to try out two different top water plugs - with no success. (I wanted to try artificial baits before resorting to frozen or live shrimp or cut bait.) I pulled out a gotcha plug to see if there were any Spanish in the bay and was shocked to pull in a large Sail Cat. Since when do catfish hit a lure?!!!!!

Maybe I'm confusing fresh water catfish with saltwater catfish, or maybe I just don't know as much about catfish as I thought. In three short trips out, I've caught 8 very large Sail Cats on that gotcha plug - and nothing else. I've read a lot of comments about people catching a lot of catfish out on the bay and it makes me wonder if the ecosystem can't support that many bottom feeders, such that they've resorted to chasing their dinner?

I've got a skiff that needs a bit of work before I can launch it. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is out there when I get that in the water and can increase my range. I'm also thinking about launching my Kayak from one of the state parks to see if I can find a different variety of fish.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to speckledcroaker

Wirelessly posted

sailcat tailmeat is good eatin
speckledcroaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Snapper

It's been over 10 years ago, but I lived on the Lillian side of the bay. Besides the above already mentioned, some summer nights I could catch enough shrimp in the bait net for dinner. Also ran across a few alligator gars, they aren't edible but be careful with the teeth on those gars.
Gulflady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in