Penn combo rods vs Uglystick - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree11Likes

Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Penn combo rods vs Uglystick

I have been here a year and see now why my bass tackle ain't getting it.The fish I catch are slot reds,trout,sheepies etc. I have a 3000 mitchell on a med 7ft uglystick that works pretty good but my 2000 needs replacing.I get spooled and the drag isn't smooth enough for 15lb line.I think a battle or fierce 3000 is what I need but heard the rods are junk.Is an uglystick better than the combo rod?
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Lurking, would like to hear an answer to this.
Mainsailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Mingo

I think the battle would be a better reel than the fierce and are you using braid or mono? 15lb mono is heavy for reds and trout. I use 15lb braid and it does everything I want it to do and it's the size of 4lb mono. The rods that come with those reels are about the same as ugly sticks. You could buy the reel separately then go get a outcast custom, a nice shimano rod (with lifetime over the counter warranty), or there have been some really nice rods for sale on this forum for a decent price. That's just my .02
Jhamilton814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhamilton814 View Post
I think the battle would be a better reel than the fierce and are you using braid or mono? 15lb mono is heavy for reds and trout. I use 15lb braid and it does everything I want it to do and it's the size of 4lb mono. The rods that come with those reels are about the same as ugly sticks. You could buy the reel separately then go get a outcast custom, a nice shimano rod (with lifetime over the counter warranty), or there have been some really nice rods for sale on this forum for a decent price. That's just my .02
I use 15lb braid to a swivel then 15 lb fluro leader,I'm just looking for tough and cheap in a rod really.The battle is 20 bucks more but it seems worth it because of the drag.I hate tying braid,that's mostly why I even use a leader.Getting better at it though.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Personally I prefer the ugly sticks.
Benw86 and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
White Marlin

Ditch the 15# anything, go down to 10# braid for your main line or 10/12# GOOD mono.

Toss the swivels in the tackle box (unless you're live bait fishing), tie a uni-to-uni knot from braid to 10# - 15# fluro, 'bout as long as your finger-tips to shoulder.

I buy the combo rods & reels. Usually a 4000/5000/6000 series reel. I fish 3-4 days a week, don't have any problem w/ the penn combos, ugly stick combos, etc...I don't get spooled, don't have drag tear up, etc. same reel as you will buy over the counter and pay more for a pretty box.

Just my opinion though...
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Grouper

The Battle 3000 is hard to beat for the money. I've been using them for over 3 years and have landed up to 32" Reds. You will need to periodically clean them but rarely will you need to disassemble unless you use it to surf fish. Keep the sand away from any reel if you can help it. As for the rods, only bought one combo and that was because the combo was on sale and for $10 more than the reel alone, you could get rod as well. For the combo, I took the reel off and went to BPS to find a rod that felt good with the reel. I have mostly Shimano or Daiwa rods now but it comes down to what feels comfortable to you and how much money do you want to part with. The fish doesn't care if you spent $10 or $400 on a rod. For line, use either 10-20# braid and I use a 20# FC leader.
salty_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Ditch the 15# anything, go down to 10# braid for your main line or 10/12# GOOD mono.

Toss the swivels in the tackle box (unless you're live bait fishing), tie a uni-to-uni knot from braid to 10# - 15# fluro, 'bout as long as your finger-tips to shoulder.

I buy the combo rods & reels. Usually a 4000/5000/6000 series reel. I fish 3-4 days a week, don't have any problem w/ the penn combos, ugly stick combos, etc...I don't get spooled, don't have drag tear up, etc. same reel as you will buy over the counter and pay more for a pretty box.

Just my opinion though...
All I use is bait.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Mingo

If your trying to go inexpensive, go with the battle 3000 combo you won't be disappointed with that set up. Go 15lb braid for the decent reds and sheepshead around docks and bridges and if your fishing live bait stay the with swivel if fishing artificial do the uni to uni knot. I prefer power pro or suffix braid always had better luck with them. Good luck
Jhamilton814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dawg View Post
The Battle 3000 is hard to beat for the money. I've been using them for over 3 years and have landed up to 32" Reds. You will need to periodically clean them but rarely will you need to disassemble unless you use it to surf fish. Keep the sand away from any reel if you can help it. As for the rods, only bought one combo and that was because the combo was on sale and for $10 more than the reel alone, you could get rod as well. For the combo, I took the reel off and went to BPS to find a rod that felt good with the reel. I have mostly Shimano or Daiwa rods now but it comes down to what feels comfortable to you and how much money do you want to part with. The fish doesn't care if you spent $10 or $400 on a rod. For line, use either 10-20# braid and I use a 20# FC leader.
I don't want to spend much on a rod.The ugly sticks work great at 40 bucks but like you said,a combo rod is only 10 bucks more than the reel but lots of people say they snap easy.It's worth that to try one I guess,can always get an uglystick if it breaks.15lb line and inshore fish probably wont be breaking rods anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in