Pass King fishing! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Pass King fishing!

Hello fellow PFF'ers. I recently got my boaters license and I am on Spring Break now. On monday me and my buddy are going to drop the girls off at sand island and get some fishing done. I havent trolled for kings in a while. I was wondering if yall could help a brother out and give me some tips. Whats the best bet? Trolling ciggar minnows? Stretch 30's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even get the girls in on some king actions. Thank yall in advance.
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
old fart
Trigger

Default bait

Pass King fishing!-oct-2-fishing-trip-jpg ! blue yellow 2 and 3 black silver, mullet holo green silver, 8.99 walmart
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Grouper

got the same lure sitting in my tackle box. Cant tell from the pic. you use a leader? thanks for the help.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Trigger

We use silver dusters with cigs and always run a deep ribbonfish with a yellow hair duster. Cant remember not catching our limit this time of year. You also might want to run a purple feather ballyho right down the middle long been some good near shore sailfish hook ups lately.
Sushi maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
old fart
Trigger

i use 30 to 40 lb wire, did use 60 lb leader but got out there in very rough seas, had a 850 penn, no clicker, buddy turned and looked and spool was empty, by the time i got it in leader rubbed or was bit, went to wire quick. walmart had stretsh 25 and 25,splus for under 9 dollars, 12.20most everywhere else, just dont all have a lot of colors store on 29 has green silver but no blue yello , dophin holo u may have to hit blueangle or mobile hwy store

Last edited by sig226; 04-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
old fart
Trigger

Default im wating for weather to calm a little

Pass King fishing!-fish-011-jpg

Pass King fishing!-oct-2-fishing-trip-004-jpg head out and around buoy 1, up beach in about 35 ft of water 2,6 t0 4,1 mph circle the 3 barges, if they are around you should do well watch those hooks, had a king jump in boat last year when i went to gaff him, landed in my father in law and son in laws lap

Pass King fishing!-fishing-sat14-002-jpg

Pass King fishing!-oct-2-fishing-trip-005-jpg
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Grouper

Thanks sig226, I really appreciate all this info. Seems like you know how to slay them. Ill prolly hit up the walmart on blue angel considering it is closer. Then probably Outcast after that for some skirts and ciggs. Again thank yall for your help. =)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Hey Sunshine if your doing some slow trolling, try a chartruese 1-1 1/2oz bucktail jig with a good size treble stinger and just pin a cigar minnow on it. I used to use em all the time if we got off work early and just putting around the pass. Caught alot of Kings and bigger spanish on em. Also you can add a trolling weight and slow bounce the bottom for the grouper in shallower waters. I'm sure you probably already know but this might save someone a ticket by the "man". Make sure you check the lateral line on those big spanish so they're not juvy kings. Saw a guy get a $100 ticket for two juvy kings he thought were spanish. These two are easy because of the color, but sometimes the kings have the same spot pattern. http://forshorefishing.blogs.theledg...kerel-easy-id/

Last edited by lastcast; 04-22-2011 at 08:30 AM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Grouper

Making a list of all the lures i need. Ill add the chartruese to it. Thanks lastcast. Ill be sure to look for the lateral line drop on em. I think with all this info ive gotten theres no way I can go wrong.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Where exactly is buoy # 1 out of Pensacola? me and a friend just got into kayak fishing in the gulf ,and are looking to try out some bottom fishing if the water is right for it.
guyharvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in