Ohio guy coming down need help advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ohiofisher

Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Ohio guy coming down need help advice

Hey all I came down 2 years ago my brother was stationed at NAS and I did fishing from the surf with help from you all I landed a 28lb42in red. THANK YOU!
This time I’m coming down in June with a kayak and staying right by the Pensacola beach rd bridge. Any advice on tactics or fish to catch from kayak in Pensacola bay? Should I get live bait and drop down along the bridge or just kayak around with bait on bottom? Any advice helps.
ohiofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

If you're staying on the Gulf Breeze side of the 3-Mile bridge, we're in the middle of construction of a new bridge, and it would be sketchy to try to kayak anywhere around there with all the barges and work boats moving around. You might be able to paddle south along the shoreline towards Fair Point and be okay, but you oughta consider taking the yak over to the Intracoastal and fishing the Sikes or the grass flats for trout and reds. Can launch at Shoreline boat ramp or Naval Live Oaks.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I would actually be staying on gulf breeze side by shoreline park this time. So kayaking around Bob Sikes bridge could be productive using live boat on Carolina rig??? Would like to try and catch some grouper or pretty much big fish I can’t get this time around I will be releasing everything I catch. Any advice on rig setup would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Sailfish

Those docks to the west of Shoreline can be pretty productive for trout and redfish at times.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofisher View Post
I would actually be staying on gulf breeze side by shoreline park this time. So kayaking around Bob Sikes bridge could be productive using live boat on Carolina rig??? Would like to try and catch some grouper or pretty much big fish I canít get this time around I will be releasing everything I catch. Any advice on rig setup would be appreciated.

Good deal, I was worried you were going to be moving around the construction in a yak. From the Shoreline Park side, you're better off fishing the flats for specks and reds, but if you feel like paddling a couple of miles, there is a grouper hole around the channel markers west of Deer Point where the northbound barge channel meets the Intracoastal. Use a Carolina rig with a live pinfish on a circle hook for grouper. I don't fish around the Sikes so I can't help there.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks that’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. Is that right off of ft Pickens on google earth I see some bouys? Off of deer point I can’t seem to find any bouy markers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ohio guy coming down need help advice-5e7bf5a0-37f9-497b-881f-b1644cf4001e_1545495515267-jpeg   Ohio guy coming down need help advice-c093be77-3a35-42d8-a3f4-080232986a80_1545495524243-jpeg  
Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Grouper

I forget the marker numbers, but it may be #20 or #24, and it's on the same line but farther out than your second picture is showing. It's where the bay meets the intracoastal, and ship and barge traffic turns north towards the 3-mile bridge. It would be quite the kayak trip, but it's the closest hole I know of from Shoreline. It's about 40 feet deep around the marker.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I appreciate that very much I’ll be kayaking all around so I’ll give that spot a days worth of time for sure. I’ll have to send you guys pics if I hook up!
First Cast likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in