October Bite - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WAReilly

Old 08-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default October Bite

We will be coming down first part of October staying at the Navy Base for nine days. I was considering renting a fishing boat or going out on a Head Boat, maybe charter. After reading the Florida Fishing Regs it seems you can keep Red Snapper in state waters on the weekends in October?, but not federal waters? Is this correct? What are the odds of catching Red Snappers within the Bay on weekends?
Of course we would consider other fish as well. Any recommendations on a head boat, charter boat or would I be better off renting a fishing boat for eight hours and doing it myself? My wife and two daughters will be fishing. I'm an avid freshwater fishing guy on Barkley and Kentucky lake, considered bringing my own portable HB Down Imaging for the Bay. again thanks
wmac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
Grouper

You can absolutely catch red snapper in the bay. Unfortunately, getting someone to give you their numbers for bay snapper probably won't happen.

If you decide to go on a head boat, I suggest looking into Native Sons here in Pensacola. They are located very close to the back gate of the air station, and I've heard very good things about them.

If you decide to hire a charter, you may want to start looking into booking your trip. You can bet that the reputable captains will be booked solid every weekend in September and October if you wait too long. You might want to start looking ASAP.

You can also rent bay boats from the marina on the air station as well. I'm not sure what the pricing will be or what the regulations are. The marina has a great staff, so I'm sure they can accommodate you.

Hope this helps.
ThaFish likes this.
WAReilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning more toward renting a boat if possible. We were down two years ago fishing from a rental boat (Navy MWR) and that bay covers a lot of water. We drift fished from the Pass back into the bay and caught a few and one 5ft black tip which was a blast. I did not have any electronics on the boat and it sucked not being able to see the bottom as I'm use to. I just figured if I stayed in the deeper water/Channel I might run over the top of some. I will probably bring my portable HB with down imaging. Probably fish from the NAS Shore on most days and hope all goes well. Again thanks for the advice. Love fishing Pensacola!!!
wmac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Snapper

Depending on how comfortable you are with the boat you could always run out to the three barges if the weather is right. If it's anything like summer just look for the flotilla a couple miles southeast of the pass. Could probably find a way to put the numbers in your phone too.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in