Not a new fisherman, but new to inshore- questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Not a new fisherman, but new to inshore- questions

So... numerous times I've fished in Choctawhatchee Bay from the Destin Bridge, Shalimar Bridge, Cinco Bayou Bridge, favoring the grass flats of the coast guard station. Even tooled around to Cobbs Pt next to Joes bayou with a small boat. CANNOT seem to find the Fish! or at least make them find my hook...

Pinfish and croakers are all I can land from the coast guard station.
Catfish are all I can land anywhere else (except the destin bridge I usually end up with skipjacks galore).
I can see the reds from the Destin Bridge, I just cant land any.

Help anyone? Tips? Spots? Examples?
TradeWinds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Grouper

I think we need a little more info. You are in good spots, all of those spots hold fish, however a lot more can play a role. Baits, depth fishing (top of the water or on the bottom), tide, presentation, time of the year, etc.

What are you fishing with? dead baits catch more fish, but tend to attract cats, croakers, pin fish, and other non desirables, especially on the bottom. Shrimp will also attract almost everything during the warm months.

Spoons and faster moving shinny things catch spanish and faster fish. Jigs with soft plastics or even better, gulps, can be fished at all depths and all speeds. Corks and popping corks help with keeping your bait in the upper 3ft of the water column. I recommend 2.5ft of 10-20lb fluoro carbon leader too.

If fishing from shore use something with a little weight, so you can make long cast and cover more area. A popping cork with 2.5ft of leader tied to a jig head with your choice of artifical will allow for a lot of area and depths to be covered. Cast far out, reel in the slack, lift the rod tip, as your rod tip comes back down to the water reel in the slack. the cork will simply move acrosss the water, but the jig will move up and down in the water column. As you lift the rod the jig will move up and in line with the cork. As you drop your rod tip and reel in the line the jig falls back down towards the bottom. Most of the time trout and reds will hit the jig on the fall.

Hope this helps a little.
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Default Newbie

Off the destin bridge Ive been using 4" mirrolures and 3" shads and get ladyfish. I have hooked a redfish twice, but lost it both times.

Using squid mostly at the coast guard station which would explain the cats and croakers. I try shrimp from time to time but wind up with cats on it too. And I've tried sandfleas and live pinfish off the Destin bridge to no avail.

Someone just turned me onto trying a bubble rig. A bubble 3/4 full with water followed by a 12" piece of thin hose (cut eyeglass straps) and then a treble hook. Any ideas on how to improve or where to use this?

Ive never caught anything from the shalimar bridge except for catfish. Ive seen someone catch a sheepshead, but I never have the luck. Will try sandfleas there tonight.

Cobbs pt I was told was a good spot for reds and trout. I used the 4" mirrolure, my buddy was using shrimp, and another was using a live pinfish. The shrimp turned up one undersized speckled trout. Noone caught anything else.
TradeWinds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in