Newbie questions about causeway, AL - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree8Likes

Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Newbie questions about causeway, AL

Fishing is something that I do every chance I can and am mostly a bass fisherman, some panfish. I have never fished, aside from charters, in salt water. I intend to spend some time in November fishing the Mobile bay, launching from the causeway somewhere. For various reasons I won't get into here, my ability to get out on the water is somewhat limited these days so I want to make the most of the time and availability I do have and learning by internet is something that can really help.

I have watched and read alot on trout and redfish to feel that from a technique standpoint, I will be fine....but there is a ton I don't know so I thought I'd start here and pose a few questions to get started...any tips, suggestions or local experiences would be greatly appreciated...
1. Does weather effect saltwater fish like freshwater fish?
2. How do you fish around tides...prime vs dead time... I found a web page to give me a look at what stage it is in.
3. I have read that under the bridges are good areas, though some portion of it is very shallow...anything about the pilings, bridges, depths etc..
4. I'll be traveling east to west on the parkway...which launches do you recommend...ease of access and proximity to good fishing areas.
5. Lastly, any tips and hints for a complete newbie!
5a. Something I always ask, how deep are the fish biting? and best depths to fish this time of year...looks to me most people fishing on in that area are fishing shallow; less than 4' deep and maybe under the bridges deeper?

It is hunting season for most, but my fishing season is just starting now for me....up until Memorial day usually.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
Mouser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Center Mass at 300m
Sailfish

You need to ping Etrade.
jlw1972 likes this.
Stoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Grouper

1. There's no fish around the causeway
2. If you take an eco tour (boat ride) take a push stick because you will get stuck
3. Generally, people are rude, the water is muddy, and the beer is hot.

In all seriousness;

1. Does weather effect saltwater fish like freshwater fish?
Yes, weather will have an affect on the fishing
2. How do you fish around tides...prime vs dead time... I found a web page to give me a look at what stage it is in.
Mobile Bay is notorious for having extreme low tides in the winter, try to fish on a moving time, but really whenever you can get out there.
3. I have read that under the bridges are good areas, though some portion of it is very shallow...anything about the pilings, bridges, depths etc..
The entire bay and lower delta area is shallow, and even more so in the winter. I'm serious, take a push stick because you will beach it.
4. I'll be traveling east to west on the parkway...which launches do you recommend...ease of access and proximity to good fishing areas.
Meaher State Park has the nicest launch and only cost a few bucks, please consider supporting our local parks. Every other ramp on the cause way is good to okay.
5. Lastly, any tips and hints for a complete newbie!
Live shrimp and patience
5a. Something I always ask, how deep are the fish biting? and best depths to fish this time of year...looks to me most people fishing on in that area are fishing shallow; less than 4' deep and maybe under the bridges deeper?
See above, the entire area is shallow. Find the deeper shallow spots and holes. I personally stay away from the bridges but people do catch them around there.
jlw1972 and Mouser like this.
etrade92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the reply...this gives me something to start with and hopefully others will chime in too.

Videos I watch seem to show a catch heavy to trout...less so with redfish. Is that due to area, presentation, population or maybe I'm not correct in that observation...thoughts?
Old 10-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
Grouper

Area and presentation. Trout move up into the upper bay in the fall and winter, but normally in numbers not size. The people that do catch the large gator trout this time of year can attribute it to dumb luck.
Mouser likes this.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

So if you wanted to target Redfish...launching from the park, what adjustments would you make to target them...I'm not looking for gps coordinates! rather generalities to follow assuming launching there...if there are some good areas near the launch.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Grouper

Idle out to the Blakely River (the only way to get out of the park) and work the grass beds and off into the river channel on both sides. They will be there.
Mouser likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
White Marlin

I catch most fish north of the causeway but be warned, if you don't know where you're going, you will get stuck.
Mouser likes this.
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

I will try to time my trips to stay away from low tide based on feedback, though like many, I will go when I can...based on what I've seen and read focusing on that corner of the bay, it looks like there is a very defined river channel to follow to and from the launching areas.

If the river channel is not as deep and clear as it looks, please let me know...as etrade said, the Blakely river and Apalachee river looks like I can access several side channels, mouths of feeders and the bay itself all within minutes of the launch....if I were bass fishing, I'd key on inlets, any irregularities (man made and natural) on the shoreline creating current breaks and ambush points.

In my reading, it sounded like the river channel was fairly deep and defined...20'+ in spots and some of the fish like red's, catfish and sheepshead would be on the breakline maybe down a little deeper say 10-20 feet....I know the video footage I've seen of the trout fishing had them pretty shallow on flats adjacent to channel intersections, inlets etc.... for a newbie, would you suggest fishing shallow to deep or deep to shallow?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
White Marlin

Mouser, the spots that I go to catch fish aren't readily marked except with some PVC pipes that more often than not aren't there. You can follow the channel east past the restaurants and find some good basins for reds and trout but even there, you can get hung up. Low tide is bad but high tide isn't much better.
Mouser likes this.
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in