new to the navarre area looking for tips and pointers - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default new to the navarre area looking for tips and pointers

Hi,

I just moved to the Navarre area and I'm looking for some good fishing spots that are NOT the pier!
I'm also in the market for fishing buddies if anyone is interested... I was stationed in Germany for the past 5 years but I grew up fishing the golf coast in Texas and can't wait to get back to it!!
I'll be grateful for any and all replies and hope to hear from y'all soon!

Thanks!

Jay
fishing4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Send a message via Skype™ to Rooster80

Hey welcome to the area fishing4life, I moved to Navarre 6 months ago and can offer a little bit of advice but I am new to saltwater fishing. In that amount of time I have decided I must be on the water in a boat this spring

So for now I surf fish and fish in different spots along the sound quite often. I caught a couple small redfish at the east river boat ramp this week. I was turned off of pier fishing during Cobia season when people trampled all over my soft tackle box to cast at one ( it is cool to see, but also crazy) . However, in the Cobia off season the pier can be a fun place to catch lots of Spanish when the time is right.

As of now I just take some live bait, some sand spikes and kick back and enjoy the beautiful weather and hope I get a bite. Hit me up with a pm if you ever want to go fishin.
Rooster80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
The Yakslayer
Snapper

You may consider getting a kayak (I'd personally recommend a Hobie Outback or Pro Angler (big) because if you decide you like kayak fishing, that's what you'll eventually want to get).Kayak fishing along the gulf coast is huge and the kayak fishing community is a good bunch of people that tend to help each other out. There isn't much you can't do from a good kayak. I've personally been 6 miles offshore but that's about my limit. Typically we fish 1.5 - 3 miles out. The Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association (GCKFA) is a local kayak club that organizes an outstanding tournament in late spring. Last year there were 150 kayak fishermen from all over that entered in the tournament. Most of the members are active or lurking on this forum and willing to help a noob. I will warn you that you can invest quite a bit into getting a good kayak, gps/fishfinder, rod holders, and other gear.

From shore I'd recommend the jetties of the East Pass (Destin). Before I started kayak fishing, I went there. There's a good chance to catch redfish, sheepshead, and black drum there right now. In the warmer months you'll have spanish mackeral and a few other fish to target. Surf fishing is also another option. There are a few small fishing piers that aren't quite as bad as the 4 big ones (PCB, Okaloosa, Navarre, PCola Beach). One is a platform at the end of the island (on the bay side) by Fort Pickens. There is one on each side of the bridge going to PCola Beach. I think that's called Bob Sykes.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about getting into kayaking. Just never done it before
fishing4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Be careful where and when you lauch your boat on the Intercoastal, you may not be able to get it out if you don't watch the tides. The only sure ramp is Juana's on the beach, never been stuck there or lost an axle.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
The Yakslayer
Snapper

If you have access to it, the Hurlburt Field ramp is tide-proof too.
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Mingo

Don't give up on the pier too fast, once you learn the ropes it can provide a lifetime of pleasure.
FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4life View Post
Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about getting into kayaking. Just never done it before
I'd highly recommend it. There are plenty of guys on the forum to fish with and get advice from too. Like Blackjeep said, you probably want to get a hobie if you can. I'd never done it before either until about two years ago, now you couldn't give me a boat.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
White Marlin

I never really catch anything in navarre...just saying..try the jetties in Destin and the bridge in Pensacola along with the pass. Kayak might be fun but I'd take my boat over one of those things anyday..either way good luck with tight lines and welcome to the site.
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Mingo

The fastest way to learn how and where to fish is to join a club. Join the kayak club even if you dont have a Kayak yet. The fellows will share their ideas and you can see the different kayaks they have. The Hobbie is great so you can control your kayak with out a paddle in your hand. Both hands are on the rod or fish. I dont have one. I have a Heritage Red fish and have some pontoons on the back to keep me from tilting over board when a big boat goes buy and send me a two foot wave. Also, their is a great Fly Fishing Club in Pensacola which I belong to. These guys wade and use Kayaks and they can teach you a bunch. Keep plugging away but get with a club you will save hours of fishing and you will learn a hundred times of knowledges for your dues. Kayak Bob
Kayakbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in