New to FL, looking for some advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to FL, looking for some advice

Just moved down to Mary Esther a few weeks ago, originally from Indiana. Well the ocean is about 30 feet out my back door and i'm crazy excited for this cause it means I can fish whenever the heck I want.

I'm headed back to Indiana to grab all my fishing gear this weekend and just want to get some advice on how to go about doing the ocean fishing. Ill be fishing right off the beach or off our deck that runs out about 30 feet, so any advice on how to approach this, types of baits, fish that are in season right now would be great.

Thanks fellas,
nicker57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Grouper

Welcome to PFF, have found a great place full of friendly people willing to give you their two cents for free.

Start off slow, some of your freshwater stuff will work for now, as to bait live shrimep will work from your dock also gulp shrimps, circle hooks, and strong braid with a wire leader for fish here have teeth. Good Luck
knot @ Work is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

What part of Indiana are you from? Im originally from Northern Kentucky.

Oh and its the Gulf, not an Ocean and the water in Mary Ester is actually called the sound, not a bay. Just some lingo to get used to around here.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Grouper

if you know how to bass fish, you will hammer the fish in the sound. Trout, redfish, flounder etc will eat the same baits. Get out there and walk the dog early in the morning with a spook, throw a fluke style bait a little later, you will get bit.
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
What part of Indiana are you from? Im originally from Northern Kentucky.

Oh and its the Gulf, not an Ocean and the water in Mary Ester is actually called the sound, not a bay. Just some lingo to get used to around here.
Originally from Putnam County which is like mid/western part of the state. Appreciate the heads up on the lingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot @ Work View Post
Welcome to PFF, have found a great place full of friendly people willing to give you their two cents for free.

Start off slow, some of your freshwater stuff will work for now, as to bait live shrimep will work from your dock also gulp shrimps, circle hooks, and strong braid with a wire leader for fish here have teeth. Good Luck
Really appreciate the tips. I've never been to good with lures and such so live/dead bait or my big choices for now. Nice to be able to just kick back and fish. How big do I need to be on poles and line? I just have like bass poles with 8-12lbs test on them. Not really looking to catch monsters, I just want good fish to cook up, but considering its big saltwater will I have issues catching the fish that arent gonna just snap my pole?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Trigger

Those line weights and bass equipment should be plenty...If you'd like, I live in Ft. Walton and work at Hurlburt...be more than happy to come by and see what ya got and see where you are to give you the best advise...just PM me here and we'll get together...
Fishing lures is NO BIG DEAL...It's just technique...

18 Neptune CC.
115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
21 Searay Custom
Merc 260
devndeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devndeb View Post
Those line weights and bass equipment should be plenty...If you'd like, I live in Ft. Walton and work at Hurlburt...be more than happy to come by and see what ya got and see where you are to give you the best advise...just PM me here and we'll get together...
Fishing lures is NO BIG DEAL...It's just technique...
I'll probably hit you up once I get back with my gear this weekend. I live like 2 miles away from Hurlburt on M-Strip.

Also I forgot to post, any advice on shrimping? My buddy told me that I can catch them with a cast net, which I have a 3 or 4 foot one I used back home for minnows. Any trick to netting for shrimp?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in