New boat what electronics do you recommend? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Trigger

Default New boat what electronics do you recommend?

I bought a g3 aluminum boat that I plan to use mostly inshore bay fishing around here, central florida, and Louisiana. What's a good combo and should I upgrade my transducer? I've always been a offshore guy and know electronics are very important offshore. I'm new to the inshore game
youngbloodr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
153 large fishes
Sailfish

I love my lowrance touch screen with real side scan... (I say real because humminbird doesn't really work nearly as well....i mean the side scan transducer is like 9 or 10 inches long compared to an inch and a half on the humminbird)
chad403, spike and youngbloodr2 like this.
153 Large fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Grouper

I have to agree. I have a Humminbird 597 HD DI that I bought because I got a great deal on it. It certainly is a nice product that is light years beyond the old Garmin I had used before (black and white). However, when I went fishing with a buddy of mine who had a Lowrance HDS5 - I was a little jealous. I think the imaging function was a little bit better and the map options included are much better. Again, I am not recommending you stay away from the Humminbird, but I feel like the Lowrance is a better value.
youngbloodr2 likes this.
NoleAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
jep
Ruby Red Lip

I just bought a lowrance hds 8 with side scan and love it. Check out boe marine for the best price, and lowrance is running a $300 mail in rebate right now
jep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

I have the Lowrance HDS 10 gen2.... Love it, but I didn't choose a model with touch screen because of two big reasons- 1: we have a 22' bay boat, and I know someone will end up at the FF with icky hands- 2: our bay boat doesn't have a top, and I'm not sure how long term exposure to the sun will eventually affect the touch screen.
We have had both Garmin and Lowrance units before, they are both good GPS/FF manufacturers. If you want a structure scan option, I like the Lowrance. If you want a head unit you can add to, the Lowrance (something you can "build on").
If you want a good all around GPS /FF, both Lowrance and Garmin make some nice base units to meet your needs.
How many times has a thread almost just like this been started? Too many to count now? Do a search, lots of comments, opinions, and a few unbiased reviews. Here are a couple I pulled up real quick:
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ht=Electronics
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ht=Electronics
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...light=GPS%2Fff
Search the web- reviews! Go to an electronics dealer and try a couple out.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, it more often comes down to a personal preference and how you will like the way a particular piece of electronics operates and responds.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 05-13-2014 at 10:20 AM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
White Marlin

I have a Humminbird 798 with sidescan and love it. I have fished on a buddy's boat that has a Lowrance HDS5. I like my unit alot better. The sidescan is about the same. The HDS5's mapping is better looking, especially with a Navionics card. But he and I both like the ergonomics and functions ALOT better on my Humminbird. And the Humminbird is about HALF the price. And made here in Alabama. It also interfaces with the MinnKota GPS trolling motors. You can follow depth contours or you can lock a spot on your fishfinder and your trolling motor will keep you there. Or any distance from it that you select. Spot something on your sidescan? Mark it and automatically troll a circle around it!!!
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Trigger

Humminbird 999ci HD si, is the unit I have and it's top of the line, does everything you will need. I'm very happy with mine. Good luck with what ever you get.
Capt. John Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Grouper

You'll have to explain to me how you have concluded that Humminbird units are even close to half the price of comparable Lowrance units. When I was shopping, I remember thinking the Lowrance units were a little more expensive but certainly not by anwhere near as twice as much.

Having said that, I totally agree the iPilot link feature is ridiculously awesome! You still got to fork out the dough for a iPilot trolling motor.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
White Marlin

I dont know about now, but when I bought mine, the HDS5 was about the same price as my 798 Humminbird. Then you had to buy the Sidescan transducer to add to it. It was about the same price as the head unit. The Humminbird had the transducer built in.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Grouper

Ok, that makes sense... I didn't factor in the difference when transducers are accounted for. Nothing is ever simple when dealing with marine electronics. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in