New Boat Owner and Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By capt happy
  • 2 Post By feelin' wright
  • 1 Post By TeaSea
  • 1 Post By BananaTom
  • 1 Post By Trble Make-rr
  • 1 Post By Jason
  • 1 Post By Splittine

Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New Boat Owner and Questions

First of all I just want to say I'm not posting this for private numbers (read in previous post).

I am getting ready to retire from Army in 1.5 years after 26 years of service. I found a boat that I just couldn't pass up on. I had been out of the pass a couple of times with a friend and had a blast. Loved catching snapper, AJ, Cobia, and Mingos. However, I didn't really think ahead of how to find my own private spots or numbers. Most of the time I will be going out of Sherman Cove on NAS Pensacola. I posted on In-Shore because we typically only go out about 6-8 miles. No Blue Water. Boat is a 23' Century with Yamaha 200 Saltwater

So here is the questions?

1) Do most new boat owners use the Lat/Long from the reefs posted on the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries? If so, do they typically just go there and then search for fish on fish finder?

2) What is the best way to find locations if new to the area, not specific places but general areas?

3) I know enough military courtesy not to just pull up next to someone and start fishing on their spots, but could someone please tell me what they would consider a reasonable space to fish close to without irritating them?

4) Any kind of advice on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. My son and I bought this boat so we can spend more quality time together since for the past 26 years I have been gone for a large portion of his growing up. I just want use to have some quality time together and we both love fishing.

Thanks to anyone that will respond.

Last edited by Better Days; 06-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Better Days is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

From one army vet to another you pretty much nailed it . Pensacola fisherman are really tight lipped about their fishin spots ( and rightfully so ) some (many ) people will crowd spots and be nothing but a p.I.t.a Look on noaa chart 11383 ( simple google search) will give you some ideas as to where fish might be hiding in the bay.Also strikelines sells charts ( private spots ) and also has them for free (escambia reefs) all wrapped up in a small download which reminds me I owe them at the very least a 12pk good luck and hope to see you post some nice fish .
Better Days likes this.

Last edited by capt happy; 06-09-2015 at 05:54 PM.
capt happy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

First of all.....Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!

1. There is a number of places to go look for numbers but my first spot would be the escambia country marine fisheries website which will have the public numbers (around 200 spots). another option is the MBT diver site which has numbers as well. Also if you look under the reefs section on this site you will see that several people have placed the numbers in a kml format that can be opened in google earth so you can get a lay of the land (or water). If you let me know what type of machine you are using I will be happy to convert the numbers so that you only have to import them rather than hand keying the numbers which is very time consuming.

2. The gulf for the most part is a pretty flat and barren area with the artificial reefs being the primarily are to target fish. To the south west you have the trysler grounds which is a large natural bottom area south of orange beach this is around 24 miles from the pass I believe. The other area you will hear of is the "edge" This is 28 mile south of pensacola pass and is where the contential shelf drops. Both are great areas and all you need to do is troll and look for fish on your bottom machine.

3. Regarding how close to fish next to others....Everyone is different but my preference is atleast 150 foot. During Snapper season all bets are off and people will be right next to you. Just the nature of the beast. If you are on a large natural bottom like the above mentioned areas then 300 ft would be better.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to provide any additional information that I can. I am no professional by far, but will be glad to pass on any knowledge that I have.
capt happy and Better Days like this.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Sailfish

All good advice above. Plus 1 on Strikelines. You can get a bunch of public numbers from MBT as mentioned above or you can buy a navionics gold card. Sounds like you've already got a pretty good start. Good luck!!!
Better Days likes this.
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Grand Slam

In that boat, learn to fish the edge, 25 miles south, natural bottom, get a drift going.

Also look at the bridge rubble area.

Both areas produce, and are great for newbies.

While running to these spots, watch for structure as you pass over it, mark it. Many on here have hundreds of numbers, and only fish a select few, based upon historical visit to them.

Some people create there own reefs.

Some people create might even create a FAD.
Better Days likes this.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Default Great

I want to thank you all for giving me some tips. We went to one place this weekend and marked it. Guess was about 14 miles away from Navy Point. Caught 50 (5 people) Mingo and had a blast, but that was the only one I had so far and just wasn't sure how most found their numbers.

Hope you all hammer em'.

Kevin
Better Days is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Grouper

Thank you for your service. I take wounded warrior out to fish in the Gulf. If you wanna come out on my boat, I'd be glad to show you and teach you some tricks. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Better Days likes this.
Trble Make-rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Just follow the bigger boats and mark their spots

I looked on several sites and got coordinates....you'll find they shift over time so you won'tbe spot on
Better Days likes this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Grouper

From one Army vet to another... you're gonna get really pissed off about the number of people out there who don't know a thing about courtesy, military or otherwise. When you are fishing public numbers it's just a fact of life that you are going to get crowded. I try not to let it jade me and just start crowding them right back... but some of those wrecks out are pretty darn big- it allows for quite a few boats.

Anyway- I just started fishing here last year and have already learn a ton from these forums and the people I have met from here- but also a lot by just getting out there and doing it. We all want to hammer them from day one and I am more guilty of that anyone but there is no replacement for time on the water. A lot of people will tell you that just riding around with your bottom machine out will help you find spots... and I am 100% sure that is true. But truth be told, I haven't relaxed enough yet to try it- I keep worrying about all that I still have to learn just about the spots I have now.

As for StrikeLines (Travis), I can't tell you enough good things about him. He's a great guy and his stuff is legit.I was at one of the spots I bought from him this weekend and it was so loaded with trigger fish that they were coming up and eating the chum bag. Yeah, trigger are out of season, but that's not Travis' fault. They was probably other stuff there too, we just couldn't get past all the triggers.

Robalo 226 Cayman - "Grocery Getter"
NoleAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Some good advice above. Some more is catch fish and move on. Keeping 50 fish off one spot will kill it in a hurry.
SushiKing likes this.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in