New to the area. Advice on Blackwater? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to the area. Advice on Blackwater?

Hi guys,

Im new to the area (military) and I know I can rent jon boats on the Blackwater river from the Navy Recreation Park right in Milton. What I dont know is what type of fish I could catch in the river.

I'm from Minnesota, so "brackish water, tides, etc.." are foreign to me haha. I was basically wondering if I rented a boat out of Milton, and I wanted some action for ANYTHING. Where would you suggest I go, and what should I focus my efforts on?

I have some catfishing tackle, and some bass fishing stuff too. I'm open to anything. Maybe anchoring and fishing for some cats might be easiest with those little boats... I don't know where to go though. I'm basically just looking to bring my fishing hobby down here with me and see as fast of action as I could on the river. Strictly catch and release too.

Thanks in advance for the help. Everyone down here has been really nice so far, so thanks for that as well.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Striper
Mingo

man im no expert on Blackwater but get you a small spinnerbait or something with a small spinner and a skirt and you can catch u sum bass up river, just throw towards the bank at logs and trees and such u should catch a few. If u wanna catch something out in the brackish or salt just get sum live shrimp or some Gulp Shrimp which are the artificial ones and try for Redfish and sheepshead they might start working there way up into the flats the warmer it gets.Good Luck
Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Mingo

First off welcome to the area. Archie Glover park near the I-10 bridge is a good place to fish for Reds and specks. You fish for them just like you would a bass. As far as bass and catfish, I would suggest Bear and Hurricane Lakes.
rippin90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Dont have any good tips to give you maybe start asking around local tackle shops. Just saw that you were military and wanted to welcome you to the area and say thanks for what you do.
captjeffelder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Trigger

upper blackwater is my area of expertise haha. i dont think catfish are too prominent in blackwater, at least not where im at. its more bass and brim anything with a blade will be good. i throw beetlespins because there small enough for a brim to hit as well. there like .99 cent at wally world
Bump_N_Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in