New to the area. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default New to the area.

Just got stationed here about a month ago and finally have some time to get out and do some fishing. Just got a 22' proline cuddy fish and wondering the best place to go tomorrow morning. Not ready to take her into the gulf though don't quite trust her yet. Any suggestions on where to go, what kind of bait and best rig set up would be wonderful. Thanks.
bagged06taco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: New to the area.

I wish I was in your shoes, or your boat for that matter. It all really depends on what your targeting. From what I understand on shallow grassy flats, trout and redfish are very abundant right now. So if you can pull yourself into a bayou or a cove.. or just ride around till u find some shallow grass you should be ok. I've always tried to find grassy flats with a pretty dramatic drop off nearby. Usually the fish like to hide out in the deeper water until feeding time and they migrate onto the grass beds.

As far as bait goes, you can never go wrong with live shrimp. I've always been the poppin' cork kinda guy. But i've recently started fishing drop rigs for reds and trout. I haven't really found a honey hole so to speak for myself yet. But when I do i'll sure as heck not be at the house after work. Other baits that work really well are small pinfish ( in the 2-3" range are really ideal). Bull minnows are a classic, but can be really hard to find.

Popping Cork Basics - <a href="http://www.veoh.com/collection/5Min-SportsFishing/watch/v18479150GZnZxtjn">http://www.veoh.com/collection/5Min-SportsFishing/watch/v18479150GZnZxtjn</a>#

Other basic rigs for saltwater. I'd suggest the bottom loop rig, or a one hook drop rig - <a href="http://www.combat-fishing.com/basicusefulrigs.html#BasicBottomFinder">http://www.combat-fishing.com/basicusefulrigs.html#BasicBottomFinder</a>
FiSh-hEaD850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Grouper

Welcome to the Forum. You are smart to check out your boat. I am in Destin so can't really help you out on Pensacola's bays. I do know that you can catch fish, having caught Kings and Snapper in its bays. Touch base w/ Outcast Tackle and the Penscola crowd should chime in soon. Again, welcome and thanks for your service to our Country...
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I assume you will launch out of Sherman Cove... be careful the channel is narrow and gets shallow very quickly. I would wait and follow somebody out. If you can't, hug the markers . I think they are still all red so an inbound boat has the right to your port side. There's plenty of room for two boats, but not enough for three abreast safely.

If you run aground, try to back up, but if it doesn't come off just above idle, jump in and push it off. No big deal, PLENTY of folks have run aground in Sherman Cove.

Your boat is not really suited to fish the grass flats (just west of Sherman Cove on the south side, so I would approach the grass and anchor just outside, then cast into it. You'll only need to put out the anchor and 10 feet of chain or rode. Give it 20 minutes. if no fish move a couple hundred yards and try again. Whatever you do, DON"T motor over the grass flats and kick up grass and mud or sand. It KILLS the grass and it'll take YEARS to fill in.On the north side of the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) west of Sherman Cove there are plenty of docks in deep enough water to approach and cast around.

Live Shrimp a couple foot under a popping cork is always a good choice. If you just get little bites and the shrimp lose their legs it's pinfish, just move to the next flat or dock.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in