need some late july fishing help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default need some late july fishing help

hello all, iím going to pensacola, more specifically the predido bay for 6 days (last 3 of july and first 3 of august). I went to pensacola about 3 years ago and was very inexperienced and only managed to catch 2 saltwater catfish. iím hoping for much better luck this year. I will have direct access to the bay from our condo and plan on going to the beach a lot. I really donít care what species i catch but i love using lures and artificials. I purchased a mystery tackle box, saltwater edition and received a IMA little stik top water walking bait, some 3.75in jointed jerk worm minnows in bubblegum pink with chartreuse and some reel scremers paddle tails in black light. i also plan on getting a few spoons.
will these be any use to me in the bay? what time of day should i use these? will they work in the bay as well as the gulf? if iím fishing in the gulf should i get out past the waves or just cast right in the surf? how early should i get out there? should i bother fishing in the afternoon or is it not worth my time. I may have access to a kayak in the bay, would that be useful? do i just cast as far as i can into the bay or do i need to stick to the edges and structure like bass fishing? i apologize for all the questions, i just wanna catch some fish, any fish other than catfish and rays.
will_quinnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Grouper

I only fished Perdido Bay a few times while I lived over that way. I did stumble across a few reds here and there but I found it tough to locate fish in general. The kayak could be very useful. The lures you mentioned can all be effective, if you're fishing from shore or dock it's likely going to be pretty shallow due to the shape of that bay, so your best bet there is going to be early and late in the day with topwater walker, jig and paddle tail, or a gold spoon. Steady wobbling retrieve with gold spoon is supposed to be very effective for reds, and a hopping retrieve with the jig has worked for me. Topwater is fun if they will hit it, and effective for reds and trout early and late in the day. I'm of no help with beach fishing.

Best simple piece of advice I have heard that has seemed to pan out for me is to look for lots of mullet activity. If there are a lot of mullet jumping around, there is a better chance at catching something.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in