Need some help with fishing bank on Eglin AFB - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Need some help with fishing bank on Eglin AFB

about 3-4 years ago when i first got here i was walking the beach on base with my wife (not postal point, the beach over by the fam camp) i was learning my new baitcaster and i was throwing a 1/4oz red jig head with a split tail body (looks like a big beetle spin body) it was clear with red dot and silver flake. since then i have gone out there and tried that, ratle traps, popping corks, dead shrimp, top water all of the above. all i have caught is one 6" speck and then i got into a bunch of lady fish, and some other fish that looked like a lizard and had a whole bunch of teeth. when i released it he buried in the sand a lil bit and stayed there.

is there something i am doing wrong? is there something i need to look for when im out there? its a flat and there is grass and whole everywhere. would like to catch another redfish as its been that long since i caught one. thanks.
jesse1378 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Are you talking about the north part of Choctawhatchee bay?
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1378 View Post
about 3-4 years ago when i first got here i was walking the beach on base with my wife (not postal point, the beach over by the fam camp) i was learning my new baitcaster and i was throwing a 1/4oz red jig head with a split tail body (looks like a big beetle spin body) it was clear with red dot and silver flake. since then i have gone out there and tried that, ratle traps, popping corks, dead shrimp, top water all of the above. all i have caught is one 6" speck and then i got into a bunch of lady fish, and some other fish that looked like a lizard and had a whole bunch of teeth. when i released it he buried in the sand a lil bit and stayed there.

is there something i am doing wrong? is there something i need to look for when im out there? its a flat and there is grass and whole everywhere. would like to catch another redfish as its been that long since i caught one. thanks.

Top water till good sun then GOLD SPOON with no red tag left on. Caught limit + everyday this weekend.
Aqua Uno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Trigger

I'd do as Aqua Uno says but if you're walking the beach I get out about waist deep, also add a Mirrowdine to the bag. Look for schools of Mullet and work them. Fish the channel coming out of Bear Creek Marina for trout, wade past Bear Creek itself North of the picnic area and look for Mullet again.
Now if you need help with lizard fish let me know I could be the Lizard fish king.
PennFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Trigger

thanks guys. im going to try to get out there this afternoon....430ish ill have to check the tackle box i havent been saltwater fishing in a while, might not have anymore shiney spoons lol. ill keep you updated.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Walk to your left. Keep fishing. You'll get to a little stream. Do some exploring in that area, especially upstream. Don't worry about lizardfish, Pennfish killed em all in that area.......
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Trigger

Don't listen to everything Kanaka tells you, I gave Eglin a week break and they restocked on lizard fish all around Bear creek and even the mouth of Jack's Lake.
No reds this morning, 1 slot trout 6 shorts.
PennFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Trigger

Default Off to a good start

Fished north bank above crab island and got a Grand Slam. Me and crew all got reds and trout but most trout a 1/2" short. Also caught a first for me a 19"flounder on a spoon. Hope tommorow has the same results! Maybe pic. will come thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with fishing bank on Eglin AFB-fish-009-jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Trigger

what did the mullet hit? i didnt think you could get those on a rod and reel....i went out one day last week either tuesday or wed after work adn threw a spoon..nothing, threw a gulp shrimp...nothing...pot a popping cork on the shimp...nothing...just let it sit like i was fishing with shrimp and got some hard hits but never came back with anything. saw 2 huys out there and i think they may gotten a couple specks.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Trigger

Default reds

Believe it or not yes the mullet was snagged with the same gold spoon.The only thing in that pic. that wasnt caught on a 3/4 ounce gold spoon was the trout, Father caught it on a yozuri shallow dive. Went saturday and me and son come home with 2 reds and we released one each. Try to post pic.Home by about 10:30 due to the wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with fishing bank on Eglin AFB-001-jpg  
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in