Need some fishing advice in ft Walton area for my elderly dad - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Need some fishing advice in ft Walton area for my elderly dad

Hey guys. At the end of this month we are planning a family vacation to ft Walton beach next to Destin. I am taking my father who is almost 81. He has had multiple back surgeries and a weak heart. All he is talking about is how many fish we are going to catch. Like we used to do some years ago. It breaks my heart to see him like this and even more so that I don't even know how to put him on some fish. This probably will be his last fishing trip and I want so much for it to be a success and something he can handle. I have a contender27 I was considering bringing but I think offshore may be out of the question. We were thinking of renting one of those pontoons for the bay but I haven't heard anything about fishing the bay. I have some surf rods I can bring as well but again I really don't know anything about surf fishing or that area.

Any suggestions would be great guys. This vacation will probably be our last. I really want to make this the most memorable trip I can. Thanks

Kevin
4x4man514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Wirelessly posted

Take the Contender, catch cigar minnows just outside the pass. Troll them around the the sea buoy for kings.
2chairs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Snapper

Depending on what dates you want to go fishing I am available almost all the time.

I have the poles and surf gear we need (will need a younger guy to pull the cart for us).

I do 'some' pier fishing just to get out of the house. We've caught some bull Reds off the pier recently. Mostly at night. I've got the poles and gear we need for that also.

Last edited by SteveCal; 06-21-2015 at 05:48 PM.
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
White Marlin

Take the contender, catch some live cigs and ride out to the #1 buoy anchor up and fish like you would off a pier, us a good spinning rod and light drag and he should be able to have more kings Spanish than he could ever want and a chance at just about anything, the ride can be as easy or hard as you make it and once there it shouldn't be bad for him fishing. Using propped drag he should be able to catch some pretty big fish. You never know he could luck up into the fishing memory of a lifetime.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Get a wagon or rent one for your gear, also a wheel chair or roundabout ( if his pride will allow) so all his energy won't be expended getting there. Take med. lite gear and some "eating" quality fresh shrimp, sabiki rigs on lite rods for some live bait, some mono and some steel leaders. Now take him to the Okaloosa Island pier there, near 1st light or right at dusk ( to beat the heat) Now with these suggestions in mind call ahead to the pier and see how they can accommodate you with the rental gear, I think most piers now can. I'll be at the PCB cty peir about the same time with my 84 year old Dad taking my own advice. Have fun!
randyaderhold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get things in order to bring my boat so I guess I'm surf fishing or bay fishing. We'll be heading down in the morning . Thanks again guys!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Ok well we're here. And y'all are right I'm kicking myself for not bringing my boat. I guess we're gonna try surf fishing this evening. The pier wasn't too impressive last night. We might try to charter a boat. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in