Need Redfish Advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Need Redfish Advice

I really want to catch a redfish. I keep seeing all these posts with people catching monster fish and I'm struck with the fever. I don't have a ton of inshore experience but I could use some advice on bait, location, tackle, etc for redfish. Also, I have no boat so I may be severely limited as far as my options. Thanks in advance for all advice..

Dave
SemperFi-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Need Redfish Advice

Your best bet would be either the bridge or pier, but walking the beach would also be a good idea. Throw jigs, and spoons. Reds on the beach are going to be just on the outside edges of sandbars. Cant catch them if your not fishing.
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Before i moved to south florida, the thing i did most, even more than i slept was fished for reds. if you have a cast net go get ya some little finger mullet about a dozen and find a nice grass flat, natn'l seashore or there are some good spots off tiger point golf course in gulf breeze. But i always just took finger mullet, free-lined em and i usually came back every day with atleast one keeper. Some spots on tiger point u can sight fish while wading because the reds will sit in 6" of water and u can see their dorsal fin just chillin or cruisin, but other times u may need to be fishing in 3-5 ft of water. There are very few things that make me want to come back to north florida, and our grass flats and the reds are some of them.

Ive been boatless for the past 5-6 years, anyone can make it work if u put an effort in, GET IN THE WATER AND OFF THE COMPUTER!!!
jpotesta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

hey dave, if you want, give me a call one weekend and will take you out on the baot and try to get a couple nice keepers. 850 776 3859
sealsjj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Trigger

thanks for all the advice and keep it coming. i spend a lot of time trying to fish, but I'm not from around here (I'm a Marine in flight school) and don't know all the places you can and cannot fish. anyways, like i said thanks for the advice and keep it coming...
Old 06-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Whats your schedule like? You can come with me soametime and then we can both be lost. But I learn something new everytime I go.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Sailfish

First thanks for your service..Second im from Beaufort(Paris Island) what a shit hole..ha..You need to take it on out to Bob Sykes fishing bridge..It is right under the toll bridge..Get some pinfish or croaker and put it on a big rod..15-30lb line..30lb leader..and a carolina(eggweight)rig..loosen your drag and let it sit..while you are doing that try using some shrimp or gulps for specks...
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Trigger

so are there many reds off of the simpson fishing pier out here off 90? i went out for a bit yesterday and threw some spoons up near some grass and fished a carolina rig with some cut bait, but all i caught was a nasty ole garr...any more suggestions for this area?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Trigger

I went fishing on Simpson river Saturday night and took the kayak out on Sunday. I saw a big red get hooked on Saturday night but broke the line pretty quickly. On Sunday I caught a 16 incher not legal but fun to catch anyway. Then hooked on to a shark, thought it was a big bull red at first then he came to the top of the water near my kayak and scared the crap outta me, lol.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Trigger

what kinda bait were you using? were you fishing off the pier or 'yakin' around to other places?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in