Need recommendations for 2 PIECE Casting & Spinning Inshore rods that r reasonable $$ - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Need recommendations for 2 PIECE Casting & Spinning Inshore rods that r reasonable $$

Thinking of doing some traveling and wanted to take a well stocked rod bag with me in flight and was wondering about 2 piece Casting and Spinning rods that won't break the bank (2 piece because of the travel situation). I have been buying 1 piece rods for 40+ years but have little to no experience with 2 piece. Also would be interested in knowing which ones to stay away from.

I already have the reels from my 1 piece favorites. (casting, Shimano Bantam Curado's 200's, 300's) (spinning US Reel 240 Sx's, & Penn's)

Primarily salt water, medium / heavy action rods, 12 to 14 pound line use, 6' 6" to 7', lure weight 1/4 to 3/4 oz. Maybe even 20 lb braid. Same set up you would use for big top water specks and even the occasional bull red.

I did a brief search on flea-bay and found some priced between $12 bucks to $200+. I know you normally get what you pay for but occasionally you can run across some real quality that is reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance. You guys are always my "go to" with specifics and I appreciate one and all of you with your shared great info... Tom B.

Last edited by Boatjob1; 04-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Snapper

I have a lot of nicer rods, but have caught plenty of reds, trout, flounder, bass, sheephead, etc. on the cheapest two piece rod Wally World sells. I think it is a Shakespeare Excursion. True that you get what you pay for, but you don't have to feel like crying when the tip on that $15 rod breaks in transit. It will get the job done.
Fisherdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

I really like my 7" ugly stick pro graphite light in M action. $37 at walmart.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Thanks for the heads up guys.

After some more research it seems that the spinning rods are easy to find it's the 2 piece casting rods that are going to be the problem without getting into Loomis and Lamiglas.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Snapper

I don't know if they still do but I bought a blue Quantum 2 piece from Wal Mart just for traveling purposes. Action was really nice as well. Especially for a two piece.
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Trigger

Cabelas probably has the best 2 pc casting rods.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104823180

http://www.yakangler.com/
FLfishR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
Salt Junky
Cigar Minnow

I bought an ugly stick two piece med action cork handle 7ft to go to the Bahamas caught all kinds of reef fish on it and liked it so much just bought a PENN Conflict for it and will use it as one of my inshore rods not bad for under $40
WildFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

We have a couple 2pc Ugly Stick spinning rods for travel. As a matter of fact, we have quite a few Shakespeare Ugly Stick rods (inshore spin & casting, and offshore)- They are not an exclusive with us, but a good all around go-to. I also found a nice Wright & MGill 2pc spinning rod, but I don't think they're in production anymore (isn't that just the way it goes). As to the casting rod- I'm not sure where you might find them... Shakespeare does make them, a couple different styles - might have to order one.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 04-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Thanks for all the great info. I went to a half a dozen places and finally found (1) just one Ugly Stik that fit's the bill (I found it at Dick's). How it got there I have no idea as it is a discontinued (well over a year ago) model, Ugly Stik CAL 1102 66 (1100 series "2" for 2 piece and the 66 is for 6' 6"). I searched every rod and rack three times after finding it and it was the only one. Sweet rod and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for all the great info. Now, to just be able to get a chance to use it .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in