Need an Inventory Check - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Need an Inventory Check

Edit- Meant to post this in the Offshore Q&A, my bad.

We're staying at the beach for a week and will be doing plenty of fishing. I'm pretty well stocked on inshore, but I need to make sure we have everything that we need to catch some nearshore/offshore species.
Last trip into the Gulf trip, we were pretty under equipped, and lost a good bit of fish to the reefs, so I'm beefing up our gear. Let me know if these setups sound good for bottom fishing and flat lining.

- 3 Penn Senator 4/0's with 50lbs. main line mono and 80lbs. fluoro leader

- 1 Penn 704 with 30lbs. main line braid and 50lbs. fluoro leader or wire

- 1 Penn Battle 5000 with 30lbs. main line braid and 50lbs. fluoro or wire

Also with the 704 and Battle, the main braid is high-vis yellow. Should I lengthen the leader to avoid the high-vis line being seen?

Last edited by iJabo; 07-02-2014 at 11:30 PM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Mingo

What are you trying to catch?

I always want my main line to be heavier than my leader because if it breaks I want it to break at the leader and not somewhere on my main line. Besides, the fish doesn't care what size main line you have. Also, I catch plenty of fish without spending a lot of extra money on fluoro but we'll save that debate for another time.

On the spinning reels I would probably use them for my flat line while bottom fishing or use them while trolling for kings this time of year. I'd stay with the 30lb braid and use a wire leader. Just loosen your drag some and you can catch any king or wahoo in the gulf with 30lb line if you take your time. You might have to chase the fish with the boat if it takes too much line.
PlaneToSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneToSea View Post
What are you trying to catch?
That's probably an important point haha. We want to target ARS before they close and Gag if we can find them.
And yeah on the deal with the spinning rods, I planned on flat lining those, but I was curious if they had the muscle to land some reef fish.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Mingo

On my 4/0 reels I use 100lb high-vis power pro braid and 80lb mono leaders. If you're fishing public numbers you might have to drop your leader size down to 60lbs but I never fish public numbers so I'm not sure.

I caught 5 gags yesterday using 150lb high-vis power pro braid on my main line with a 100lb leader on my 6/0 reels.

With 50lb mono I'd expect to get broke off a lot unless your catching small fish. Bait is good out of Destin right now, but I'm not sure about Pensacola.

Last edited by PlaneToSea; 07-02-2014 at 11:26 PM.
PlaneToSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Snapper

Okay, thanks for the advice. It sounds like I may need to beef up my gear a little more.
We're not planning on catching monsters, but then again if a monster finds itself on our hooks, I would rather get him in the boat that let him break me off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in