Need Advice on Wading in Bay - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Need Advice on Wading in Bay

I live in Niceville and would like to learn to fish Choctawhatchee Bay by wading the flats (no boat). Advice on what to fish for and how, as well as likely locations is appreciated.

I have some DOA shrimp and popping corks, as well as some top waters I was advised are good for specs. I have a casting net to catch bait. I believe I have the right rods/reels. It just feels like a lot of water and I need to know where to start.

Here is are some basics I have been advised: do not hang fish from your belt, wear shoes, shuffle vs. walk, make a floating cooler with a cooler and inner tube.

Advice on locations, tides, what a good area looks like and tactics appreciated!
Wolfithius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Mingo

Good advice. Not sure about the cooler/innertube thing - seems like more of a hindrance than anything if you want to cover a lot of ground. I can only speak of spots in Pensacola, but my advice would be to lose everything but the topwaters and throw them religiously - I also would advise using 10# braided running line and a mono/fluorocarbon 10# leader. You can cast a lot farther and don't have to set the hook as hard. Keep a light drag at first, as trout have 'thin lips'… look for areas where sand and grass meet and rocky points. Good luck.
FurBurger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Sailfish

Best way to find likely spots is too first look at the shoreline on google earth. Look for anything different: color changes, dropoffs, mixed seagrass/sand patches, points of land sticking out into the bay, etc.

Fish key in on anything different in their habitat so start trying to think like a fish by looking for anything that would make a good spot for a predator to hang out and wait to ambush small fish and shrimp being flushed past in the current.

After you see some likely spots, park as close as you can and get out there and start casting. Fan cast in as many directions as possible and DO NOT NEGLECT the shoreline. I've seen and caught some nice trout and reds 1-3 feet from shore. Especially first thing in the morning before the water get's really hot, you don't have to wade out far to catch fish.

The previous advice about not using a stringer tied to your waist is correct. In my experience, a fish on a stringer is shark bait!

As for tackle, keep it to a bare minimum. I like braided line (8-15lbs test) but 6-10lbs mono can be good too. No swivels, snaps, or anyother just on your line. Learn a good splice like an albright or uni-uni and tie on 10-20lbs leader (depends on water clarity). As for lures, just bring what you can put in a little flat tackle box in a small backpack or waist pack. I recommend starting with topwater, then as the sun comes up you can switch to something subsurface like a shallow diving plug or 1/8th oz soft plastic jig. The DOA shrimp under a cork are good too. Lastly, bring a gold spoon with you to cast and slowly retrieve back until a redfish tried to rip the rod out of your hand.

Whatever you do, DO NOT keep doing the same thing for more than 15-20 minutes if you're not catching fish. If one thing does work after 15min, then do something different: move, change retrieve speed, try a different lure/color, etc. The fish will let you know when you get it right.

Good luck!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Trigger

Where do you keep your fish then?
MrFish49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksquatch View Post
Best way to find likely spots is too first look at the shoreline on google earth. Look for anything different: color changes, dropoffs, mixed seagrass/sand patches, points of land sticking out into the bay, etc.

Fish key in on anything different in their habitat so start trying to think like a fish by looking for anything that would make a good spot for a predator to hang out and wait to ambush small fish and shrimp being flushed past in the current.

After you see some likely spots, park as close as you can and get out there and start casting. Fan cast in as many directions as possible and DO NOT NEGLECT the shoreline. I've seen and caught some nice trout and reds 1-3 feet from shore. Especially first thing in the morning before the water get's really hot, you don't have to wade out far to catch fish.

The previous advice about not using a stringer tied to your waist is correct. In my experience, a fish on a stringer is shark bait!

As for tackle, keep it to a bare minimum. I like braided line (8-15lbs test) but 6-10lbs mono can be good too. No swivels, snaps, or anyother just on your line. Learn a good splice like an albright or uni-uni and tie on 10-20lbs leader (depends on water clarity). As for lures, just bring what you can put in a little flat tackle box in a small backpack or waist pack. I recommend starting with topwater, then as the sun comes up you can switch to something subsurface like a shallow diving plug or 1/8th oz soft plastic jig. The DOA shrimp under a cork are good too. Lastly, bring a gold spoon with you to cast and slowly retrieve back until a redfish tried to rip the rod out of your hand.

Whatever you do, DO NOT keep doing the same thing for more than 15-20 minutes if you're not catching fish. If one thing does work after 15min, then do something different: move, change retrieve speed, try a different lure/color, etc. The fish will let you know when you get it right.

Good luck!
Alex

Excellent advice. Especially about not neglecting the shoreline.
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in