Mobile bay and surrounding area - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Mobile bay and surrounding area

Can help me with where to catch redfish specks or flounder. I work in Mobile and would like to fish after work but have no clue where to go or what to do I would like to know around the causeway area but anywhere would be helpful.
Thanks
Roper1108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Roper,
You are in for some great fishing! In my opinion, the Mobile bay is some of the best fishing on the gulf coast. I lived in Daphne for a couple years about 5 years ago and more times than not, we caught a two man limit of trout. Trout were typically our primary target. There were times where we caught 30-40 trout by noon. A good place to start would be to fish the artificial reefs that are placed all throughout the bay. We typically fished the reefs on the eastern shore but i know there are reefs on the mobile side of the bay as well. Also, the middle bay lighthouse is a good place to start. If you fish the weekends, get there early because other boats will be coming. Try live shrimp under a popping cork on the reefs as well as free lined shrimp. Shrimp run through that bay like crazy in the summer months so that is the bait of choice. If no luck on the reefs, you can chase the birds that are chasing the shrimp. As you continue to fish and live in the area, talk to as many locals as you can. There are a lot of deep holes that hold fish as well that are kind of "local secrets." I hope this helps.
TakinItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Snapper

That's a lot of good info there. If I may jump in, what would be some good boat launches to fish the eastern side reefs, north and south?
bamacpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

bama cpa,
The boat launches from north to south are as follows…. Fly Creek is on the north side of fair hope, there is a boat launch in fairhope right on scenic 98, there is also mullet point a few miles south and a few miles south of that is weeks bay launch.

The link below is all you need to know about where to fine the reefs. I always had great success at Battles reef and Zundles Reef. They are on either side of Point Clear where the grand hotel is. Less than a mile from each other. You can also, ease around the rocky bank around point clear and catch some redfish.

Last thing, At night, almost every dock along the easter shore is lit and you can kill em under the lights.

One more last thing…. If you are new to the area, keep an ear out for a Jubilee. It usually happens a time or two throughout the summer and is one of the most incredible things you will ever see. You can look it up online if you don't know what it is.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/fishi...shoreReefs.pdf
TakinItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Snapper

TakinItEasy, I sent you a PM
bamacpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Grouper

Lots of good info...

Middle bay is a great spot for now and also the range markers near middle bay... live shrimp/croaker on a slip cork and you're set... x2 on the reefs as well... North pass and turlte ditch are some good spots near the causeway/north part of the bay... Where mobile river spills into the bay is a good spot as well... live shrimp and croakers will also be your best friend there... there's several launches along the causeway... the ones beside laps and tacky jacks are free... scotts on the east side you'll have to pay for... there's a launch at mayday park in daphne as well, but be cautious launching there.. it's very shallow and usually a lot of sand on the ramp... if you're launching anything other than a skiff I suggest you go elsewhere...
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Sailfish

On "top spots" it shows a ramp by the fairhope pier on the point clear side but I never can find it.Anyone ever use it?
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott44 View Post
On "top spots" it shows a ramp by the fairhope pier on the point clear side but I never can find it.Anyone ever use it?
if it's close to the Fairhope pier it has to be pier street launch... I use it a good bit..

the only other launches south of there are mullet point, big mouth, and the fish river launch
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Here is a link with some launches- FYI: Mullet Point public ramp is steep, and it can be very shallow and muddy, especially in the winter
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...9afc89db&msa=0

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauty trout View Post
if it's close to the Fairhope pier it has to be pier street launch... I use it a good bit..

the only other launches south of there are mullet point, big mouth, and the fish river launch
I need to go find it and look harder,is it free and open at night? What I'm trying to do is fish dock lights at point clear with a 20hp j/boat and dont want to have to go far,say 3 miles.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in