Mobile Bay/Mississippi Sound Area Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Mobile Bay/Mississippi Sound Area Help

I know this is a pensacola forum but I have seem a few local post on here. I have freshwater fished my entire life and know nothing regarding fishing the bays and what not. This past week I purchased a 20' Xpress H20B to broaden my horizons and give the saltwater action a try. Problem is I have no clue where to start. I have plenty of rods and reels just where I fall short is on the types of tackles and knowledge of areas to look into. I have fished lights before with a buddy and that was fun but thats about it. Is it too early to start that? Not wanting anybody's honey holes or anything like that just some general knowledge that may help point me in the right direction. Areas I will try fishing will probably are the Dog and Fowl Rivers, Theodore Industrial Canal, Bayou Heron, Grand Bay, Mobile River and the Causeway area. Would like to give Dauphin Island a run but hear it gets pretty rough out there and don't know how comfortable I would be taking my boat to dixie bar and off the coast just yet. Any help or information is appreciated. Thanks
rolltide05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Grouper

I'm assuming by your posts you live over in mobile and there's lots of good places to fish on the west side of the bay and the MS sound... Fishing is starting to pick up in normal spring spots (mouths of rivers/canals/etc) but not full blown yet... Trout still seem to be holding in deeper holes but the reds are out and moving... Catching lots of em on docks 6-8' of water... Live shrimp on a Carolina rig or popping cork with a long leader... Use light weight though... Just enough to get the shrimp down... Also flounder are showing up as well... They are gonna be in the mouths of all the rivers... Bayou la batre is a great spot as well... Lots of inshore reefs and a 2 rivers that open up into the sound.... Dauphin island will be good soon but the fish haven't showed up there in numbers yet... My suggestion is to just grab you several dozen shrimp and hit the docks around east/west fowl or dog or the inshore reefs at BLB (bayou la batre).... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
White Marlin

Use the 'Search' function and go back and read a lot of the old posts.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in