Mobile Bay Canoe Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Mobile Bay Canoe Fishing

I'll be on the eastern shore for a few days next week. Don't want to bring my bass boat but I will have a canoe. We'll be staying about a mile south of point clear. What'd be the best way to get on some fish? I plan on using artificial bait except what I can catch in a cast net. May find out it's impossible to throw from a canoe. Should I target docks? Or somewhere else? I figure I can only venture out about a mile unless I use in/out tide to my advantage. Thanks.

Matt
KMATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Think your best and safest bet in a canoe would be to hit up weeks bay / fish river. Its ALOT calmer back there than it is in the big bay, especially in the afternoons, and not too far at all from point clear.

There is a boat ramp right there where 42 / 98 crosses over the water at fish river and its a decent area to fish around. Throw under and around docks or the grass lines at slack tide, incoming tide go back into the creeks and fish around the finger creeks on outgoing tide right at the mouth. Tight Lines.

TM
Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the reply. Truthfully I'll mostly be fishing the 2-3 hours after daylight before the family wakes up. Hopefully the bay will be calm then. If not I'll head over to where you suggested and probably go there if I get to fish in the afternoon.

How is fishing around the docks just south of point clear? Also, what could I reasonably hope to catch off a dock about a mile south of point clear? My wife and mother in law want to catch a fish, any fish really, and won't fish out the canoe. And is it possible to catch any small sharks off a dock in that area? Sorry for all the questions.

Matt
KMATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I would fish topwater early for trout. Try throwing a chug bug or skitterwalk with a stop and go retrieval. Most of the time they will hit it when you stop it. As the sun rises, throw around the docks with live mullet, bull minnow, or shrimp for redfish, black drum, croakers, flounder and maybe a sheepshead.

Never gotten into a shark in that area but wouldn't surprise me if one was around. You would have best shot at catching sharks at nighttime though. Be aware that there are several old ruin pilings in that area that extend out pretty far in the bay and can make for a bad day if you hit one. You should be fine in a canoe, but know that they are around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in