Mitchell 498 series 198 review - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tinboat814

Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Mitchell 498 series 198 review

Hey everyone I'm reviewing my Mitchell 198 reel. I couldn't find any reviews on the reel so I figured I would write one. I was looking for a reel in the $140 price range when I came across this one. There are things I like about the reel and some I don't. Keep in mind I'm no reel engineering expert just a fisherman.

The reel is about a 3000 series size holding 180 yds of 12lb mono with 13lbs of drag and weighing in at 11 oz. It has a full metal body with 7 bearings and a 5.8:1 gear ratio. The drag is a sealed carbon and felt washer combo similar to the shimano stradic. The finish could have been better since it had bubbles in the paint. It's purely cosmetic, but still I paid $100 dollars. The rotor and spool had cuts in them similar to daiwa and penn. The internals and drag were greased with what looks like dielectric grease. The gears looked very good better than the penn ssv and the screws holding the body together were loc-tited in which was nice to see.

I put the reel on a 7' W&M rod filled with 12lb ande mono. The setup casted great and was very smooth reeling. I had zero issues out on the water today. If I was a better fisherman I might have caught something other than catfish, but I didn't. The biggest catfish I hooked into was a 2' and this reel handled it extremely well. The drag was very smooth and consistent. If I hook into a bull red with this setup I know it could handle the task. After it was all said and done I rinsed off the reel and found no water in the drag or body of the reel.

Overall I'm very impressed with the reel. It's not a $300 dollar reel but compared to any of the other Chinese made reels this is one of the best. If I had to buy another reel for $150 or less I would definitely buy the Mitchell 198 again. I like it more than the Penn's, okuma's, and abu garcia's in the price range.

Pros: best bang for your buck, rigid, smooth, functional sealed drag, light, casts well, reliable

Cons: could have better finish, lack of parts available, felt drag washers (which can be easily replaced)

Thanks for reading and tight lines!
Big Red likes this.
tinboat814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

The reel
Attached Thumbnails
Mitchell 498 series 198 review-20150421_162924_resized-jpg   Mitchell 498 series 198 review-20150421_181930_resized-jpg  
tinboat814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Looks very nice.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
Mingo

Thanks for the review.
Team Fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Is your avet still available?
ltmguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I started using the 498 in 1972 for stripers in the Cape Cod Canal. It was the only reel that could take the beating we gave them. When I saw the new 498 had come out I grabbed one. It is a bit different than the original but very well made and smooth. Great reel.
espdixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mitchell 198, mitchell 498

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in