Menhaden - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Menhaden

May be a stupid question but if you arent good at throwing a net can you Sabiki up menhaden?
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Snapper

Yes, but most anyone can learn to throw a cast net. Search YouTube and you will find a ton of videos. There are a number of ways to toss a net and they all work. I prefer the Calusa Net way. But whatever you are more comfortable with. Doesn't take a ton of strength it is more about technique.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

I have NEVER been able to sabiki menhaden. To my knowledge they are algae eaters and wont take a sabiki....Maybe there is a secret.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Snapper

Use a tiny hook, I get them off my dock, way more pinfish, croakers and trout than pogies but get them. A friend told me has gotten them with ribbon rigs, I haven't seen it nor tried it.
Net is easiest, fastest and most sure way. If I want pogies I reach for the net, I just know they can be caught on a hook.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Crazy. I know the ribbon way is illegal so be careful with that. But i will have to try hooks again. I throw a 10' net and have had great success.

Bulldog, i would recommend just practicing a TON with throwing a cast net. Also, i used to throw a 5-6' net and found it harder to throw than say a 8-10 foot net.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Snapper

Didn't know the ribbon was illegal, was thinking my buddy did off a charter boat over here at OB, never done it and probably won't. One toss of the net at the jetty on the way out is usually all it takes.

Pinfish trap, plus sabiki usually yields all the live bait I need, Pogies are more difficult to keep alive so unless I plan on doing some chunking, I don't really ever try to get them.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Sailfish

The ribbon is not illegal in Alabama. Also, I have never seen menhaden caught in a ribbon. (only LYs)
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Topwater Addict
Snapper

I prefer an 8' net as well, smaller hard to get open and bigger isn't practical in a lot of places. When I was learning I threw in the back yard all the time that way I didn't risk losing the net on rocks or anything before I knew what I was doing. You have a sure footing this way and can look at exactly how close you are to getting it completely open. Doesn't take long to learn at all, and definitely all technique and lots of them work great so find whats comfortable.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I am planning a 2 week trip to Panama City next June and have never used a cast net. Is it worth my time and money to buy one for a trip like this or just plan to sabiki what i can and then buy the rest? Will be mostly fishing inshore for Trout and Reds. Maybe venturing out a bit to chase some ARS. No use for a cast net up here in Wisconsin for the rest of the year.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Snapper

Probably not. You can catch a all the pinfish you need with a sabiki, sweeten it up with a bit of shrimp or squid, or you can get them with a trap. Pinfish will work as well as Menhaden IMO and keep better in the livewell. Small Croaker are good bait as well and you can get them with a sabiki mixed in with the pinfish.

Docks, fish cleaning stations and grass patches all hold pinfish. I don't have a favorite sabiki tiny hooks are better.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in