Matrex help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Simonj31
  • 1 Post By Ocean Master
  • 1 Post By jlw1972
  • 1 Post By Jonee523
  • 1 Post By Jason
  • 2 Post By SurfRidr

Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Matrex help

OK I have watched the videos from the Dockside folks. I have seen them pull in Reds, Specks and flounder using the Matrix Shad. I was sold. I bought some. I have yet to catch a SINGLE fish on the bait. Is there a good You Tube video that shows ways to actually fish the bait? Could some one do an instructional video on the ways to fish the Matrix Shad? For now the Baits are just taking up room in my tackle box.
torreyislandkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Snapper

So, watch any video on YouTube that shows you how to work any jig or swim-bait. They're all the same. You basically just need to figure out the speed that they want that day. Sometimes its a steady retrieve. Sometimes you need to pop it off the bottom. It just depends. There is no magic lure. Accept a gold spoon. Those are magic! lol

Also, I am NOT hating on Matrix. I own some, but rarely use jigs.
markdido likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

The most important thing is you have to be where the fish are..!!

I use their baits all the time. Many times i will just reel it straight in and catch fish. Most of the time i work them slow with a light twitch.

I was watching a Redfish one day and had to reel it by him super fast before he would bite.

But the main thing is the fish have to be there...
Fishing Grandpa likes this.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by torreyislandkid View Post
OK I have watched the videos from the Dockside folks. I have seen them pull in Reds, Specks and flounder using the Matrix Shad. I was sold. I bought some. I have yet to catch a SINGLE fish on the bait. Is there a good You Tube video that shows ways to actually fish the bait? Could some one do an instructional video on the ways to fish the Matrix Shad? For now the Baits are just taking up room in my tackle box.
You mean you fail for all that crap?

Matrix caught something Allright...
sure,icanfish likes this.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Matrix shads are my goto swim baits. I use red head/white bodies, neon/chartruse combos, sometime plain or clear. As was said earlier the key is finding fish then finding the presentation the fish want. A slow steady swim on the bottom with the occasional twitch works for flounder, a steady retrieve has caught both reds and trout for me. But then again I have had days where not a bite... Don't give up on them....
Jonee523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

You MUST change your presentation constantly. Some fish are active/aggressive and some are just lollygaggers... I use a variety of swim baits, and of course Joey's FAVORITE go to bait (the matrix) hahahha... When I fish em and ain't getting a bite, change your presentation. I have caught everything (bull reds/rat reds/trout/snapper/grouper) except a flounder yet but have never been good at catching them jokers.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Grouper

I am guilty of being a confidence-angler to a degree that's probably not helping me in some cases... sometimes I stick with something too long because I caught fish on it in the past, but sometimes sticking with it can be the key. The opposite is true for me for spoons. Many people find them to be the ticket but despite throwing them several times, I have not yet caught fish on them and thus have trouble having confidence in them. So... that being said...

I caught a few fish on Matrix Shad early in my inshore experience here, and so I started throwing them more, and it became a self-perpetuating phenomenon. That being said, I've caught quite a few fish on Matrix Shad because that's what I throw the most here. They do as well as any swimbait, and I like their durability and ease of making them run true. Wish they had a little more action on very slow retrieves but that's the tradeoff for toughness.

Don't give up on them. As noted, varied retrieves and being where the fish are constitute the two most important factors. I like the darker or pink colors in stained water, the more clear colors like Ultraviolet (my standard go-to, tail dipped in chartreuse spike-it dye) for clearer water.

Keep at it, and good luck!
Jonee523 and Fishing Grandpa like this.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I fish Panama City bays, what my buddy and I've found, and this is only my opinion, is shad and other grub jigs work great for us in the fall when fish ar gorging and wolfing down everything in sight. Fish are getting ready to move out of the bays. Now its summer, they are surrounded my juvenile fish and they are slaughtering them. If you are fishing for sport, keep it up, you're doing great! I fish to kill fish. Nothing beats a 3" bull minnow, Carolina rigged on an 18-20" 15lb fluorocarbon leader with a #1 - 1/0 Owner SSW black nickel. Pull up on the bay (deep side) of a good grabbed in 3-5' of water and toss it about 2 feed into the grass, but pull it just out of the grassbefore it hits bottom. Drag it slow until you feel weight (for flatties) or the hit from trout and reds. If it's a flounder let him sit for a good 10 count. Small stomach and he's probably full so he has to work your bait in.
Avejero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Sailfish

Some good stuff here. Thanks
specktackler57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in