live shrimp vs anything else? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By THE POMPANO KING
  • 1 Post By THE POMPANO KING

Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
Cigar Minnow

Question live shrimp vs anything else?

I have read many posts for the inshore fishing. I'm taking my family and nieces and nephews fishing. It looks like live Shrimp is the very best bait for rookies to use. I have bought a minnow trap, and also have gotten good at using my cast net. I assume I'd just put my minnow trap out by the pier with bread in it.

Would there be any point in going through the trouble of the cast net or the minnow trap if I can get live Shrimp? Does anyone have any experience with mullet or Pinfish or bull minnows or other small bait fish working better than live Shrimp?

In the morning, does walking the dog with a mirrolure ever work better than a live shrimp? I understand it would be more sporting and fun to catch on an artificial, but I'm just looking to get a few in the boat.

I guess on the same subject, if I can't find live bait what would y'all suggest as my second option? Whatever I can catch live, or almost fresh shrimp?
davidjimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Live shrimp is the best for action IMHO. You will lose quite a few to pinfish and crabs.
Bull minnows are hardier, last longer, and still catch fish. Not so many pinfish.

Finger mullet can be cast-netted. Most any small white-bait or pinfish can be cast netted in the grass. You can chum them up with wet cat food to concentrate them.

I prefer to fish hard baits, especially topwater but the action is slower until POW!!!
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Artificial baits can be just as effective as live shrimp or better. Going with the artificial baits , you will cut out most of the trash fish such as pinfish, catfish, stingrays, etc etc. Which leaves you with more time to fish for specks and reds.
davidjimm likes this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
Cigar Minnow

The Sail Cats... I've heard that they can be eaten. Being edible is one thing, but do they taste any good?
davidjimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Yes, they taste good. Try to remove as much of the red meat as you can from the fillet, then it's good stuff.
gastonfish likes this.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

I keep frozen squid in bait freezer for unplanned impulse fishing... I have caught specs, redfish, croaker, black drum... and some misc. pinfish etc................. I prefer the live shrimp...
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
live bait, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in