Live bait on a Carolina rig - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Live bait on a Carolina rig

I don't have much experience with live bait, but I figured I'd net some up and give it a go.

when using live bait on a Carolina rig should I leave the bail open so the bait can roam free?
And where's the best place to hook them; nose, tail, or back?

Thanks!
els1009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
skeeterbay
Trigger

lots and lots of variables here. I tend to hook baits like croakers and pins and mullet through the nose. Shrimp I hook under the horn or if they're small through the tail.

First off what type of fishing are you trying to do? Are we talking flounder, reds/trout, dropping live baits on a wreck? etc...
jeremyledford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyledford View Post
lots and lots of variables here. I tend to hook baits like croakers and pins and mullet through the nose. Shrimp I hook under the horn or if they're small through the tail.

First off what type of fishing are you trying to do? Are we talking flounder, reds/trout, dropping live baits on a wreck? etc...
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping for a reds/trout, but I wouldn't complain if I run into some flounder! I'm gonna launch at Archie Glover and stick to the bayou there. I saw a bunch of LY and shrimp hanging around the docks there, so I'm gonna try to net bait there.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
skeeterbay
Trigger

Real hard to beat a live bait under a popping cork. I'm an artificial guy but if I take my dad with me he likes the livies and i normally keep a live bait under a popping cork out behind the boat and keep the rod in a rod holder.

A live croaker about 4 inches long is about the best bait out there
jeremyledford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks! I'll be sure to the popping cork a go too!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Snapper

I slip sinker rig for about everything that's not on the flats and no you don't need to leave your bail open if you're holding the rod. Keep your rod tip up, lower it to the fish and set the hook works for just about anything that swims. I use about a 15" 30 lb. leader for everything from flounder to redfish. Flounder are one of my favorite fish to catch and eat and they are truthfully not the brightest star in the sky. If you find them, you can catch them. A nose hooked bull minnow, LY or pilchard is deadly, as are shrimp, but shrimp attract a lot of trash. On 90% of flounder, you'll feel one solid tap when they take the bait and then it will feel heavy. Let a flounder eat a little longer than other fish before setting the hook.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchemall View Post
I slip sinker rig for about everything that's not on the flats and no you don't need to leave your bail open if you're holding the rod. Keep your rod tip up, lower it to the fish and set the hook works for just about anything that swims. I use about a 15" 30 lb. leader for everything from flounder to redfish. Flounder are one of my favorite fish to catch and eat and they are truthfully not the brightest star in the sky. If you find them, you can catch them. A nose hooked bull minnow, LY or pilchard is deadly, as are shrimp, but shrimp attract a lot of trash. On 90% of flounder, you'll feel one solid tap when they take the bait and then it will feel heavy. Let a flounder eat a little longer than other fish before setting the hook.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely give this a shot!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchemall View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll give this a shot!
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

When using fish as live bait (not minnows), I just toss em out all natural bail closed but drag light... Now shrimp, small minnows and what not, you can carolina rig or cork em. Same thing about keeping bail closed but drag being what you would normally keep it at...

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
When using fish as live bait (not minnows), I just toss em out all natural bail closed but drag light... Now shrimp, small minnows and what not, you can carolina rig or cork em. Same thing about keeping bail closed but drag being what you would normally keep it at...
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna head out in the morning... Hopefully I'll bring something back for the dinner table! haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in