Light tackle in bay? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Light tackle in bay?

My family will be vacationing in Gulf Breeze in a couple of weeks. We will have the use of a 17' fishing boat and I hope to do a lot of fishing in the bay. My question is, can I use light tackle, like what would be used for bass fishing, in the bay? I don't want to shell out a lot of money on Salt Water tackle for a two week trip.

Any recommendations on where to fish? Bait?

Thanks in advance.
doflantimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: Light tackle in bay?

Exactly what tackle are you talking about. It will need to be tough enough to hold up to the salt water environment. I used to wade fish and use 6# and 8 # Ande Back Country exclusively.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Grouper

dolfalntimmy! YES , by all means light tackle!! for your shorelines, bayous and docks. Once you get around your passes, or bridges with depth or if you're trolling the pass, get your heavier stuff. Have a few rigs ready, cause once you're on the boat, often as the weather, the game plan changes.

When in doubt contact HOTSPOTS B&T or DIZZY LIZZYS local Bait shops for yourbest tips on line and tackle.

this is my first REDfish caught from my new 17 Key West, a few yearsback.
todd in the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Not sure what brand, just standard spinning reel and spincast. Like you'd buy at Walmart or Target.

I don't much care if it gets damaged, just as long as it can last a week or two down there.

Of course, I'll need to put some heavier line on it.

Tim
Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
doflantimmy (16/05/2010)Not sure what brand, just standard spinning reel and spincast. Like you'd buy at Walmart or Target.

I don't much care if it gets damaged, just as long as it can last a week or two down there.

Of course, I'll need to put some heavier line on it.

Tim
Just target the flats behind the Tiger Point Golf Course and you will get into Trout and Reds and the gear you have will handle them well. Throw some top waters like Rebels, pop-rs, storm chug bugs, mirrolure top pups, grab a gold Johnson Sprite a few clear gold glitter DOA shrimp and have a blast. Cover a large area and when you find fish slow it down and fish the fishy areas hard.
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Sailfish

Use the tackle and gear you already have but make sure you clean it well after you are done. A lot of people on the forum spend a lot of time gearing up to fish for species they will never hook, much less be in the area where they could actually catch one. I include myself in the above. I learned this by taking my boat out with my girlfriend. You can prepare all you want, but it doesn't matter if fish in the area you occupy are not interested. If fish in the area you occupy are in the eating mood it is not that hard to catch them. Use your freshwater gear then clean it so the salt won't cause you corrosion issues. If you use light line, use light drag on your reels.
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Thanks everyone for all the help. Great tips and ideas.

I'm not very familiar with the waters there, never fished them anyway. I'll be entering the bay via canal, on the north end of Gulf Breeze, about 3/4 of a mile west of the 281 bridge. Are the flats and other areas you folks have mentioned near there?

Also, do you usually have better luck with the imitation baits mentioned? I was told that live shrimp work well.

Thanks again for the help. I'm am just dying to get down there and start fishing.

Oh, one more thing. Are the trout, and reds mentioned good eating fish? My wife has bet me that I can't bring home dinner. I have to prove her wrong, lol.

Tim
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with the waters there, never fished them anyway. I'll be entering the bay via canal, on the north end of Gulf Breeze, about 3/4 of a mile west of the 281 bridge.
Fish that bridge...that thing holds fish!!!! Get you some Berkly Gulp! 3" New Penny Shrimp and some 1/16 to3/4 ounce jig heads. The bridge holds Reds, specks, white trout,flounder...etc...watch for bait busting on top, if it is too rough to see the bait, then look for birds diving ora group of pelicans floating etc...

Good luck!!!!
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
doflantimmy (16/05/2010)Thanks everyone for all the help. Great tips and ideas.

I'm not very familiar with the waters there, never fished them anyway. I'll be entering the bay via canal, on the north end of Gulf Breeze, about 3/4 of a mile west of the 281 bridge. Are the flats and other areas you folks have mentioned near there?

Also, do you usually have better luck with the imitation baits mentioned? I was told that live shrimp work well.

Thanks again for the help. I'm am just dying to get down there and start fishing.

Oh, one more thing. Are the trout, and reds mentioned good eating fish? My wife has bet me that I can't bring home dinner. I have to prove her wrong, lol.

Tim
I personally prefer to throw artificials over live bait. Sometimes in the extreme heat of the summer when the water is hot and the fish are picky I will throw live bait but that is about it. Otherwise it is top water for me.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

PLEASE be careful when motoring through the grass flats if you've never done it before. You can tear up the turtle grass and it takes YEARS to regrow.

Use a trolling motor or anchor on the edge of the grass, or get out and wade the grass.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in