Let's talk fishing... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Let's talk fishing...

Hello all,
I am moving to the region soon (if the Army will get it's act together) and looking at different areas to buy a house in. It is a distinct possibility we could end up getting a house on the water there and fishing location is of major concern to me- so let me pose the questions to you and feel free to offer any other advice and/or stories you would like to share.

Do many of you fish either of the bridges over the bay, and if so, which is your favorite- what techniques do you like and what to you like to target? I have noticed some threads about catching Black Drum near the Garcon Point Bridge, but it seems that those fish are being caught NEAR the bridge and not on the bridge structure itself.

My real passion, however, is flats fishing. It appears as though the sound side of Gulf Breeze has much better grass flats than the bay side so I would guess that the sound side has better fishing for inshore species than the bay side. Yes, I know inshore species can be caught on both sides- but I am interested in knowing, if you had easy access to either side, where would you prefer?

Finally, for someone in a 19' CC, how realistic is it to expect that I could run out of the pass and target kings, bull reds, cobia and nearshore wreck bottom fish on a regular basis?

I know that is asking a lot of different questions, but think of it this way... If you could pick anywhere in the Pensacola Bay area to have a house with a dock... where would it be and why?
NoleAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

I would prefer to fish on the sound side of Gulf Breeze, because I like to do wade fishing and you don't have to wade that far to get to some grass beds.

I am not sure how far you would want to go out with a 19' boat but on a good day you can definitely go out of the pass and troll close to shore for mackerel, reds, and cobia.
baldjtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Welcome to the area!!!!! Do you have any school age children? Waterfront is just that, but remember just because its called waterfront, it may be nothing more than a canal......

19 footer? sure, I have seen 19 footers 10 plus miles south. Just pick your days, watch the weather and learn this "gulf slop" we have here.....
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Grouper

Hey Jim,
I lived in Florida (Tallahassee) most of my life and I have spent plenty of time on the Gulf Coast, so I am pretty familiar with canals vs. open water. Actually, I think I might even prefer a canal- easier on the dock and boat.

And yes, we have school age children- so I have done a ton of research on the area. Not that I really needed to- I knew about the Gulf Breeze schools even back when I was in school in Leon County. That being said, homeschooling is also an option if we found the right property.

I asked about the pass more because I am trying to get a general idea of how often it is doable rather than if it is. Also, I am interested in hearing from people who go through the pass in smaller boats because each pass is different in how it behaves in different conditions.
Realtor likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

19' shouldn't be an issue in the pass. When the wind is blowing and the tide is running against it... it gets sloppy quick. But depending on the boat, 19' should handle the pass fairly well.

Yes, sound is better for specs/reds IMO. Lots of dock structures on grass beds.

Perdido Key is a nice area, Gulf Breeze, or on the east side of town on one of the bayous. Three good waterfront type areas. For kids, all three areas have good schools - Perdido lacks a good high school.

Bridges... small hooks with shrimp or fiddlers against the pillions for sheeps, white trout under lights on 3mi bridge for bull reds, shrimp along the shoreline rocks/pillions for black snapper.
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
White Marlin

Welcome to the area NoleAnimal,

Gulf Breeze sound side offers some of the best flats fishing in the area. An added bonus living sound side, it's a short boat ride across the sound to p-cola beach for many festivities with out the hassel of hwy 98 traffic. (Blue Angel Weekend)

None better schools than GB. 16 million in scholarships were awarded to the graduating HS class of 2014. West Point, Naval and Air Force Academies recruited a few student stand outs as well.

Take time to learn conditions of the pass and the shoals that surround them. As said above, opposing tide vs wind can be very sloppy and dangerous. When re-entering the pass, the east side of the buoys is typically the safest passage on rougher days.

Once you get settled in, be sure to come out and meet some friendly forum members behind the Hampton Inn on pcola beach for FREE Oysters every WED Night around 18:00.

Wish you well!

Jimmy

Last edited by jjam; 06-13-2014 at 12:09 PM.
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Grouper

Thanks for the advice, all.

jjam- that sounds like some fun on Wed. When you say "behind the Hampton Inn", do you mean at Sidelines... or on the beach... or in the sound... or in the parking lot, redneck style?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Snapper

You just have to pick and choose your days. I've been to the edge in a 19 Cape Horn. I have a 21 cc bay boat and I go out 30+ miles a hand full of times each year.
acoustifunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
Sailfish

I have a 19' CC bay boat that I go out 5-7 miles. It all depends on wind and sea condition.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleAnimal View Post
Hello all,
I am moving to the region soon (if the Army will get it's act together) and looking at different areas to buy a house in. It is a distinct possibility we could end up getting a house on the water there and fishing location is of major concern to me- so let me pose the questions to you and feel free to offer any other advice and/or stories you would like to share.

Do many of you fish either of the bridges over the bay, and if so, which is your favorite- what techniques do you like and what to you like to target? I have noticed some threads about catching Black Drum near the Garcon Point Bridge, but it seems that those fish are being caught NEAR the bridge and not on the bridge structure itself.

My real passion, however, is flats fishing. It appears as though the sound side of Gulf Breeze has much better grass flats than the bay side so I would guess that the sound side has better fishing for inshore species than the bay side. Yes, I know inshore species can be caught on both sides- but I am interested in knowing, if you had easy access to either side, where would you prefer?

Finally, for someone in a 19' CC, how realistic is it to expect that I could run out of the pass and target kings, bull reds, cobia and nearshore wreck bottom fish on a regular basis?

I know that is asking a lot of different questions, but think of it this way... If you could pick anywhere in the Pensacola Bay area to have a house with a dock... where would it be and why?
Be extremely careful being in the military and wanting to buy a house. I have had several friends buy a house and soon after get moved to the other side of the country and stuck with a house oh can barely get rid of in a hurry without having to do 2 mortgages for a while.

Welcome to the forum.
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in