Lack of bait/salinity in the bays - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Lack of bait/salinity in the bays

Hey all,

I've noticed this year that there is little to no bait in the back bays (east bay and backwater bay mainly). Last year you could walk across the menhaden schools about midmorning through most of the summer. This year I have yet to see a menhaden period and no schools. I also used to go out and catch sail cats in east bay in the afternoon for something to do while drinking a beer or two and I haven't caught one of those yet, only channel cats. I also have noticed that I haven't seen a dolphin anywhere east of Garcon Pt compared to consistent sightings at least every other trip out last year. And the red/trout fishing has been fairly awful of course as well.

Anyone have any thoughts as to the lack of bait/sportfish? I wouldn't think that the floods from this spring would still have an effect on the salinity. Kind of at a loss here.
Yooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Mingo

I can tell you that when I arrived in May just 3 days after the floods, Choctawhatchee Bay was a wet wasteland with nothing in it. By 3 days after that, porpoise, bait, and BIG trout were everywhere. In trips since, I've seen both extremes and everything in between, including my last trip last week.

There is no general lack of salinity and/or bait. It comes and goes.
traqem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Young Pier Rat
Snapper

I had my best day of redfishing less than 5 days after the floods, so I can't complain about it. I have also seen more dolphins this year than last and I'm only fishing half the time than I did last year

Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

north and west bay in panama had this dilema after the monsoons. Have not fished north recently...but west bay is bouncing back....red fishing is good ....trout is picking up ....but have not seen the big schools of bait like last year....nor the dolphins in the places I normally fish ...which are not on the main body.
saltfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Trigger

Tides should keep the salinity fairly regular and stable, except when there are sustained downpours. But that should be a short-lived situation. There are salinity guages available and they should not be really expensive. It may be temperature or water quality/clarity or dissolved oxygen levels - or a combination of these factors. I was astounded one year to see acres of ballyhoo being torn up by spanish in the bay (not the back bay) one year. I've also seen large groups of squid in the bay. I'm sure that they move in there to try to get away from predation and that the schools move around, in and out, up and down the bay. The back bay fish will be back, I'll betcha! Late July and all through August is usually a great time to catch sail cats (what a great fighting fish!). I'm looking forward to getting my line slimed and pole bent double! They'll be back!
eym_sirius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

you are right about the bait.....my theory is that the flood killed off some of the grass causing the bait to go elsewhere.....at least in the sound side at johnson beach.worst surf fishing in 30 years....go figure.
the finisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in