King Fishing Saturday - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Default King Fishing Saturday

Oxbeast and I are heading out tomorrow morning to hopefully decent seas. Looking for Kings in the bay. Plan on ballooning them with live menhaden. I normally troll with dusters or live cigs, so i am still semi-new to this style of fishing. Does anyone have any last minute tips to help us be more successful? We are bringing a good buddy of his and a his wife and want to look super cool with a box full of fish.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
Oxbeast and I are heading out tomorrow morning to hopefully decent seas. Looking for Kings in the bay. Plan on ballooning them with live menhaden. I normally troll with dusters or live cigs, so i am still semi-new to this style of fishing. Does anyone have any last minute tips to help us be more successful? We are bringing a good buddy of his and a his wife and want to look super cool with a box full of fish.
Oscar went with me last weekend. If you don't get menhaden or they're just peanuts, head over to 3 mile and in front of palafox pier for some white trout. They were hitting cigar minnow chunks pretty steady last weekend.

Good luck out there. I'll be hitting the flats early AM at Bayou grande with the family. I'll be stalking kings next weekend, though.
MGlover54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Thanks MG, i will have dead cigs, squid, bonita, live menhaden hopefully, and dead white trout. If i cannot pick up a live trout with one of those then we were not meant to be fishing.

Good luck to you too. Hope i see a killer report tomorrow!

Last edited by Kenton; 09-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Trigger

I honestly can't say how trolling is going to work right now. They're chasing those oily suckers from Bayou Texar to Bayou Chico in the mornings right now. You might have some luck from the pass over to the navy base(if you get close enough!)

Bonito probably won't do much good except for the sharks. Try ribbonfish instead. Same king rig, but with a few more added hooks across the long, snakey body.

Last weekend, there was NO CURRENT and a neap tide. If it weren't for the live bait, our balloons wouldn't have gone anywhere. There should be a good current, but I can't remember where the tide will be right now.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Falling tide. About .5 movement. Low tide at about 12Pm. We will spend some time hunting the Menhaden to give us better luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Trigger

Oscar told me ya'll didn't do real well. Heard that the hot spots charter got a king at 3 mile bridge.

Might be early, but this weekend should be good. I'm undecided if we want to just hit bayou grande again or give it a shot king fishing this Saturday.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Wirelessly posted (Matt)

Yeah we could not get on any good bait to save our lives. Next time I am going to pre fish for bait the night before and bait pen them. But as far as a shake down cruise went it was a good time. I need to help him adjust his idle. It wants to die out when taken out of gear.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Trigger

I never got in there to adjust the idle. When in neutral, I'd rev the engine a few RPMs to account for it.

Getting bait the night before is what I'm thinking, too. Maybe hit 3 mile Friday night for white trout and hope they stay alive until the next morning.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

Should be a simple fix.

The trout seem fairly robust. The big menhadden are in Texar. We saw them on the way in on Saturday. They are just staying in pds of a few. You would need a BIG net and a push poll boat to sneak up on them.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Trip was fun wife loved the boat she took a long nap up front woke up not knowing where she was lol

I got a 12 ft net but doubt I can toss it anymore lol
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in