King Fish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree6Likes

Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default King Fish

I am new to King fishing around here so I have a few questions.

1. If you troll dead cigar minnows what duster rig colors seem to work best?

2. Is it common to have luck to have success just off the second sand bar?

3. Do they hang around here until November?

I am not a tournament fisherman so don't think I am trying to pull one over on you. I am military and moved here from NC. Its me and my 6 year old son who I am trying to turn onto trolling.

Thanks for the help guys
minerva216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Grouper

Default Kings.

Color tends to vary but your on the right track. Different colors work different days. I always try and troll near channel markers and over structure. Slow trolling plugs work as well. Also look into rigging spoons behind number 2 and 3 planners. These techniques should keep you more than busy with the kings. By the way. What does your screen name mean.
KingMe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Funny you ask, Minerva is the name of my boat. Minerva was the roman goddess of wisdom, arts , crafts, medicine, defense and magic. I know crazy name but my wife bought me the boat so I let her name it. The 217 comes from the model number of my boat.
minerva216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
White Marlin

I've been King trolling for about 8 years now. So I'm no expert, but I have found what works for us. When we first went out, we SLAYED em. We got back to the marina and were told we were doing it WAY wrong! So we tried the right way and caught NOTHING, several times. Went back to the "wrong" way and have been slaying em since.

Right way = cigar minnow trolled at 1-3knots at about 50-100 yards back.
Wrong way = Northern Mackerel trolled at 6-8knts about 30-60 yards back. Troll as fast as you can and still keep the bait in the water.

We have NEVER caught one on a cigar minnow, but everyone else has. Point is, dont be afraid to bend or break some rules (not laws, haha) to find what works. Duster colors and size tends to vary from day to day and week to week. We find that we have the best success on three colors. Gold mylar, a silvery pink opaque white, and one that I invented myself. I hand tied them on a fly tying vise. I used some old duster heads and used some mylar from some marti gras decorations. It was shimmery green on one side and purple on the other. They ended up looking like that car paint that changes color from green to purple to copper. They work really well, but the saltwater deteriorated them badly. If they touched the water, they were only good for a day to two and would bleach out.

If what you are using isn't working, speed up, and/or slow down. If still not working change bait size. If still not working, change dusters.

ALL of the biggest Kings that I have ever caught were from freelining a Ruby Red over a reef or structure. You can live troll them too, but you have to go REAL slow or they will flip on their side. If your bait is on it's side or spinning, NOTHING will hit it. Make sure your baits run true!
badonskybuccaneers likes this.

Last edited by NoMoSurf; 04-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Default King Mackerel

We've caught most of our really big ones offshore anchored and drifting over structure (in the fall) with live bait AND frozen bait (mostly cigar minnows).
Most of the ones we've caught trolling were smaller, and were'nt the targeted species.
Like it has been said, don't be afraid to try something different or new....
NoMoSurf likes this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

On a slower day I'll also troll one of the rainbow tree rigs with a spoon at the end. Usually catch more Spanish on it, but if your son is six he'll be just as excited and better eating. Self explanatory I've had the most luck over structure. Particularly over the 3 barges as its very large area of structure near shore and the pass.
minerva216 likes this.
fishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
OSOK
Blue Marlin

I only king fish one way and that is live baiting. Not because you can't catch them other ways, but because live baiting them is so much fun. Watching a king come 6 feet out of the water with your bait in his mouth is absolutely awesome. I use various dusters but my two favorite colors are pearl and black/purple. I usually run my black/purple on the surface lines and the pearl on the downrigger. I also like red/black. As for trolling behind the sandbar, sometimes they are there and you can catch a few and sometimes you will be spinning your wheels. I really like trolling areas of live bottom and there are also a few artificial wrecks I like to troll around. Both hold fish and usually if you find one there are more. For me, I'll give an area about 20 minutes and if they aren't biting I move on. I have also had good success around the C buoy in Destin and the buoy line in Pensacola pass, particularly when the seas are rough. There are a few fish still around in November it really just depends on the water temp and weather as to how many are still here.

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
White Marlin

I agree with the 20 minute plan. We will usually line up a couple or three reefs that are a mile or less total apart. We'll troll up and down that line, then move on. We usuall get hit right of. Usually before we can get a second line out. We throw the bait in the water and put the boat in gear with the spool open. When we get the line distance we want, we lock the spool and BAM!!! If nothing withing 5-10 mins, change speed. If nothing within 15-20, move on.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperpeeps View Post
I only king fish one way and that is live baiting. Not because you can't catch them other ways, but because live baiting them is so much fun. Watching a king come 6 feet out of the water with your bait in his mouth is absolutely awesome. I use various dusters but my two favorite colors are pearl and black/purple. I usually run my black/purple on the surface lines and the pearl on the downrigger. I also like red/black. As for trolling behind the sandbar, sometimes they are there and you can catch a few and sometimes you will be spinning your wheels. I really like trolling areas of live bottom and there are also a few artificial wrecks I like to troll around. Both hold fish and usually if you find one there are more. For me, I'll give an area about 20 minutes and if they aren't biting I move on. I have also had good success around the C buoy in Destin and the buoy line in Pensacola pass, particularly when the seas are rough. There are a few fish still around in November it really just depends on the water temp and weather as to how many are still here.
Sounds like a blast!
So you troll with dusters over your live bait? Live cigar minnows I assume? I've only seen frozen around here now that I think about it..
SushiKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperpeeps View Post
Sorry but what do you mean by 'live bottom'?
SushiKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in