June Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default June Fishing

I am coming to Pensacola for the Blue Angels show in June staying at the Portafino Resort, so unfortunately the beach will be extremely crowded and I doubt I will have the ability to surf fish (wouldn't want to around a bunch of people) unless I am up super early or go at night.

Would I have any luck if I walked the shoreline along the bay and cast some jigs through grass and potholes or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks
cumberlandjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

The Blue Angels beach show is July 12/13, but you're right about the crowds on the beach in June though. The best fishing is at daybreak for a couple of hours, so you should be able to hit the surf for a while without too many people around. About the soundside at Portofino, yes, wade the grass flats with light tackle for specks and reds early and late. Plenty of info here on lures and bait. Be sure you have a Florida fishing license.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Ok thats good news that the Blue Angels show isn't that weekend, Id rather have less people to deal with anyways and I've seen them plenty of times. I fish the SE Ga Coast and NE FL Coast usually so I figure tossing some DOA's or Zman weedless lures should do the trick over there as well. Im looking forward to having clearer water to fish and not have to deal with 7-8 ft tide swings as well like I normally do.

Whats the best recommendation for a bait shop in that general area?

Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Grouper

You'll have the best of both worlds from Portofino, and June is a good time to fish the gulf or sound. Gulf Breeze Bait and Tackle is in downtown Gulf Breeze between the schools and the turn to the beach bridge and should have all the info and bait you need for your trip.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

The nearest bait shop to you will be Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle and it is open 24/7. Yes the grass flats around Portofino are good very early until about 8:30 or 9. Tackle wise don't forget about top waters and light line ( 8-10lb.) along with fluoro leaders if not the line itself will help. Good luck !
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Looking on Google Maps at the area on the bay side of Portafino Resort, I see two points labeled Range Point and Big Sabine Point. My plan would be to wade fish/fish from shore around those two points and shoreline inbetween.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberlandjg View Post
Looking on Google Maps at the area on the bay side of Portafino Resort, I see two points labeled Range Point and Big Sabine Point. My plan would be to wade fish/fish from shore around those two points and shoreline inbetween.

That's perfect, and I use wading shoes or sometimes just cheap windsurfing shoes, mainly so I don't slice a foot on an oyster. Drag your feet to keep from stepping on a stingray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in