Jubilee's in Fairhope, AL - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Jubilee's in Fairhope, AL

I have heard a lot of different methods to knowing if a Jubilee is going to happen. East wind on out going tide being the most popular, I just can't seem to catch them when this is going on. Anybody have a proven method for success in knowing when they will happen?
trubio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Don't know how true these "facts" are in the wiki, but it's a starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_..._and_frequency

And the research from Wiki:

http://new.aslo.org/lo/toc/vol_18/issue_3/0353.pdf

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21100996748833

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 08-22-2012 at 01:50 PM.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Grouper

i've heard my fair share of theories and guys who swear by each one whether it be out going or incoming tides. East wind is always a good sign. I think a movement in the tide whether it be in or out plays a big factor in it... if the tide is dead not much seems to be in, but right before and after the tide is slack seems to be a good time. the water on the east side of the bay has to be slick too (because of the east wind). I got on a small one a couple nights ago but all the one's this year i've seen have been not real great... alot of shrimp (not very big ones though) very few flounders and crabs... lots of small ones. I caught about 10 dozen shrimp in 30 min though

my best theory... sleep deprivation haha... since they usually happen best in the middle of the night you just have to be in the right place at the right time usually.. I spent almost 4 hours the other night running up and down east shore chasing it and wound up finding it but it only last an hour or so

Last edited by stauty trout; 08-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Today I heard about one by may day this past Monday night. The guy that told me about it said it was the most flounder has has ever seen. I stay on top of the wind forecasts and check every time its coming out of the east just to be safe. I live on Co. Rd. 1 in Fairhope and haven't heard of squat down here this year.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Grouper

That's the one I was on.. I heard of a few people seeing flounder but nothing like a good jubilee... the flounder have just been small this year that I've found but its all about where you are at... I wasn't lucky enough to find them that night I guess
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Did you hear about the Jubilee and go or did you think is was going to happen and just show up?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Grouper

I was checking the forecast monday and thought it looked pretty good. Went after work down to the shore around 5pm in daphne and saw guys catch lots of shrimp so i went home and geared up. got to the beach at 8 down in fairhope and worked my way north and around 9-9:15 started seeing some action but by 11:30 it was done. I ended up at mayday and left there about 12...

There were about 4 people at mayday when i got there that had some shrimp but no flounders... around 9 I heard of some guys gigging a few but they were small in montrose

Last edited by stauty trout; 08-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Trigger

I would like to add an interesting fact to this thread. Evertime i hear someone say something about the "jubilees" here in the Pensacola area i have to bite my tongue. (its usually concerning the annual late summer crab run)..........anyone that has seen a real jubilee in Mobile Bay knows the difference........fact....it only occurs one place in the world....Mobile Bay and a bay in Japan on a less frequent basis......look it up
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Grouper

True it's completely unique to Mobile Bay... I've seen some strange low Oxygen things happen on the mississippi gulf coast but its nothing like a jubilee on the bay here... The other usually just affect one species and a jubilee effects rays, eels, crabs, flounder, and shrimp all bottom dwelling species pretty much
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

ata0002 PM sent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in