Jetties - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badonskybuccaneers

Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Jetties

What can be caught at the jetties at Orange Beach this time of year? I thought about going out this weekend and tossing a live shrimp on the bottom.
Stack On Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Redfish, Black Snapper, Flounder, Bluefish, Ladyfish, a variety of sharks, Pompano and a few others.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

What bait would you recommend? I was thinking shrimp and pin fish on the bottom.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

My wife only likes live shrimp. If you take a sabiki with, you can probably catch some live stuff to throw out. Ladyfish and bluefish usually hit spoons and bubble rigs pretty good (as well as live and dead stuff). Bottom fishing will produce more drum, pompano, snapper, and shark. Free line or float baits might produce more Ladyfish, bluefish, maybe redfish or sheepshead.
The species you are likely to catch may be dictated by the bait and presentation you are using as well as the depth, location on the jetties, and tidal flow. If you are planning on walking out on the rocks to fish, be careful- we saw a girl pretty busted up a couple weeks ago out there.
Best advice I can give is to stop by SAMs Stop and Shop on canal rd and talk to Chris ^^^^^
He'll set you up with some good bait, and advice that'll put you on the fish!
UncleMilty7 likes this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by badonskybuccaneers View Post
My wife only likes live shrimp. If you take a sabiki with, you can probably catch some live stuff to throw out. Ladyfish and bluefish usually hit spoons and bubble rigs pretty good (as well as live and dead stuff). Bottom fishing will produce more drum, pompano, snapper, and shark. Free line or float baits might produce more Ladyfish, bluefish, maybe redfish or sheepshead.
The species you are likely to catch may be dictated by the bait and presentation you are using as well as the depth, location on the jetties, and tidal flow. If you are planning on walking out on the rocks to fish, be careful- we saw a girl pretty busted up a couple weeks ago out there.
Best advice I can give is to stop by SAMs Stop and Shop on canal rd and talk to Chris ^^^^^
He'll set you up with some good bait, and advice that'll put you on the fish!
/end thread - no other advice needed - good stuff right there
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys, planning to head out early and anchor up on the end of the jetties and see what happens. How deep would you fish for sheepshead?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

I just like free lining, maybe a split shot... Might need something a little heavier- Kinda depends on the current. Outgoing tide I'll set up on the outside of the pass, incoming tide, I'll set up near the mouth maybe just inside.
You can find bluefish and Spanish along the inside of the pass from near the bridge, and along the beaches outside the pass (especially earlier in the morning) and can be caught on a variety of lures or bait (i.e. Clarke trolling spoons, 1-3 oz casting spoons, bubble rigs, jigs, gotcha plugs, etc). Sheepshead might not be as easily found as the are in the spring. Use a small hook, piece of crab, small shrimp, or fiddler will work. Drum will hit almost anything, small croaker or pinfish, shrimp, chunk of blue crab, and cut bait. Chris has been catching flounder and speckle trout off the beach too lately. A little further out you might find a king mackerel to fight. If the weather agrees and you don't mind going a couple miles out, you can check out the Minton Reefs, 3 Mile Barge, or Cullverts. You might be surprised what you'll find there- cobia, king mackerel, Spanish mackerel, bonito, snapper, some grouper, jacks, etc....
Good luck and tight lines!
tips offered are just from my personal experiences fishing local waters- we don't profess to be pros or overly experienced, we just like catching fish!

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 06-30-2015 at 11:35 AM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in