Inshore Trolling - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By barefoot

Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
The Plant Guy
Trigger

Default Inshore Trolling

Okay I'm totally new to trolling, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers or recommendations on what they use. Like how far back to let the line out, what speed to go, and what to rig up? I've tried various artificials, gulp shrimp carolina rigged, ratltraps (which often get hung up), clarkspoons, all without any action so far. I trolled a live finger mullet yesterday for about an hour and didn't get any takers. I don't really know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I just need more time on the water.

My basic strategy is to pick out a few spots that I know hold fish in a general area, and then I troll to and through each one, making a circuit. I usually let the lures get back about 100-200ft.

I run the trolling motor, a cheap 45lb thrust minn kota, not sure how fast I'm going but I usually have it about mid way, power wise. I considered idling the outboard also as an alternative, but not sure if anyone does that either. It's just a little 25hp so it doesn't push the boat all that fast when idling.

Any help is appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm maximizing my chances of success.
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 04:15 AM   #2
Sailfish

Stretch 25's, Cigar minnow with a Duster in front of it.
4 to 6 mph and if using live or dead bait make sure its not spinning. If you are dragging up grass you are trolling to slow or not deep enough water.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

What species are you targeting?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
White Marlin

I troll the grass flats and adjacent drop offs all yr. long...however, I use floating lures that dive <3 ft.
I travel 2-4 mph. and my line is usually less than 100 ft. behind me.
a likes this.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Grouper

Only time i ever inshore troll is in the wintertime... I'll troll live shrimp very slow and way back over the deep holes in the rivers... Rat-L-Traps and Storm paddle tail lures are good as well...
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
The Plant Guy
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodupp View Post
What species are you targeting?
I'm not super confident in my boat yet so I try to stay in the bayous, creeks, and upper bay. So basically redfish, specks, etc.

Thanks for the input guys.

Barefoot have you tried launching at oyster pile on the weekends? If so, how busy is it? The amount of traffic on the river that I see from hwy 90 on the weekends usually keeps me off the water, but it also happens to be my time off.
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
White Marlin

OH NO!...Don't let the traffic keep you off the water, many of those boats can't or won't launch at the oyster pile due to the steep ramps and drop off at the end of the ramp (BTW-it's even w/the end of the single pier on N. side).

But....I don't like crowds, I prefer to launch well before daylight and return just as most boaters are headed to the ramp.

I don't use the oyster pile much during the summer it's too far from where I fish. I'll be using it a lot in the upcoming months. With any of the launches in Milton get their as early as you can.

Good luck.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
trolling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in