Inshore Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Inshore Questions

Hello All, I've been enjoying everyones post, stories and pics. We're coming down in early June. We've got a place in Perdido Key(off sharp reef rd) with a pier. Im fairly confident fishing from the pier and shore fishing. However this time we are getting a boat for a few days. I'd like any advice on how to get on some fish, from the boat. Trolling, dropping, drifting? Bait, artificials? All the fishing we would be doing would be in the bays and/or intercostal. Any tips would be great, also what is typically biting at that time of year, we usually come in early fall.
COfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Snapper

The grass flats will be alive by then. Look at google maps and you can find them. Big Lagoon has plenty. I use artificials. As always, look for birds and bait activity and water movement. Also, dock fishing around Ono Island at night should be good at that time. Be careful though. You have both Alabama and Florida waters. I would get both state fishing license staying where you will be.
bamacpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the reply bamacpa, nobody else must inshore fish...Lol. We always buy both licenses just because we rotate around depending on the wind and the bite at the time. I've got a buddy in Lillian and he gives us some tips, but he's mainly a shore fisherman. We usually stay closer to Lillian on the Bay so were looking forward to being on some new areas. Maybe I'll PM you in the future if I got any other questions, if thats cool.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

By then the trout will be back in ol river the morning top water bite is usually good and will slack off around 7ish I'd suggest using a top dog jr and swap the trebles for in lines to keep the grass off when the top bite dies I have good luck with doa shrimp with a few drops of pro cure fished right near the edge of the grass flats and on the side closest to the drop off just get on google maps and pick out some grass flats the lights are always a good bet if the bite gets picky I like to switch to light tackle 1/8 ounce jig with a little zoom imitation glass minnow
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by COfishing View Post
Thanks for the reply bamacpa, nobody else must inshore fish...Lol. We always buy both licenses just because we rotate around depending on the wind and the bite at the time. I've got a buddy in Lillian and he gives us some tips, but he's mainly a shore fisherman. We usually stay closer to Lillian on the Bay so were looking forward to being on some new areas. Maybe I'll PM you in the future if I got any other questions, if thats cool.
Anytime. Although there are many others more knowledgeable than me. Iíll help any way I can though.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

June is an outstanding month to inshore fish and you'll certainly be in a good spot to get started.

As mentioned above, the grassbeds in ole river and along the ICW going east into Big Lagoon will be hot with Trout, Reds, Jacks and a few others. Must-haves including topwaters, twitchbaits an assortment of soft plastics. There are days where the grass will be extremely aggravating and I usually throw weedless-rigged soft plastics on those outings. The obvious tactic is to fish the potholes, edges and drops through the grass but don't overlook pitching around the boathouses on the north side of ole river.

Moving into the ICW, I almost always spend some time around the Theo Barr bridge. This is the bridge carrying you from Perdido Key towards P'cola. There's plenty of nice Mangrove Snapper, Drum, Reds and some very big Trout. A lot of people say you need live bait there for the big trout but that's not true and I've had luck with some gators there on deeper running jerkbaits and fast sinking twitchbaits. If the Ladyfish are thick around the bridge in can be tough.

Off the beaches, the Kings and Spanish should be thick. Just troll spoons, Yo Zuri Crystal Minnows and a deep diving plug somewhere in your spread.

How big of a boat will you have access to?
grouper22 and bamacpa like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Snapper

And as always, go to Sam's stock up and talk with Chris. No better advice.
Chris V likes this.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the tips guys. We're getting a 21ft center console w/ live wells rod holders etc... Set up for fishing is what the rental place tells me.(Harbor View Marina, best prices) We can only stay on the ICW or the Bays(No Gulf) which is fine. I was also thinking about some cajun poppers w/ plastics/bait for my nephew and another less experienced fisherman. My 13yo and my wife are experienced fisherman, he always catches em(Go figure). I will definitely post up with any other questions I've got. I will also stop by the bait shop and get the latest and greatest updates. Does Sam's have live shrimp? We always seem to be getting these for the pier at night too. The bridge you're talking about, which one exactly is it, i tried looking up on google and didn't find it. Thanks agains guys

Last edited by COfishing; 02-02-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: question added
Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. We're getting a 21ft center console w/ live wells rod holders etc... Set up for fishing is what the rental place tells me.(Harbor View Marina, best prices) We can only stay on the ICW or the Bays(No Gulf) which is fine. I was also thinking about some cajun poppers w/ plastics/bait for my nephew and another less experienced fisherman. My 13yo and my wife are experienced fisherman, he always catches em(Go figure). I will definitely post up with any other questions I've got. I will also stop by the bait shop and get the latest and greatest updates. Does Sam's have live shrimp? We always seem to be getting these for the pier at night too. The bridge you're talking about, which one exactly is it, i tried looking up on google and didn't find it. Thanks agains guys
Theoís Barr bridge is the bridge you will go under going into Big Lagoon from Perdido on th ICW.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Trigger

Quote:

Why no gulf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20' BullsBay 115 Yamaha
MillerLight21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in