Inshore Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Inshore Help

I bought a 23' Cobia at the beginning of the summer and my wife, my 2 sons and I have enjoyed going out in the Gulf since. We have caught flounder, grouper, triggerfish, 1 cobia, and several varieties of snapper. It is so addictive! We have been staying at Orange Beach or with my aunt in Foley, and put in at the ramp near Perdido Pass. We are coming down this weekend (Sat thru Mon) and it looks like the wave forecast will be too much for me Sunday & Monday. So I would like to do a little fishing inside the pass. Anyone have any tips in this area? I've seen boats fishing directly under the highway several times we've gone out into the gulf. Any tips for for this area would be greatly appreciated.
Misn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Default RE: Inshore Help

Start like you would for snapper fishing. 3 oz leads and eiiether cut bait or live menahden if you can net some up on the way to the pass.

Hit the bottom with it and wait for the big bull reds. Or drag stretchs through there. Works in pcola and destin, should work there.

Also, go to Top Gun tackle and ask them the same question. Very helpful cats up there. Ask for Dan, he is the owner.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Trigger

If you can time your trip to be there at the time of the tide change and an hour or so after the break, you could have an easier time fishing right up near the bridge in the pass(out of the main channel of course) but it is such a narrow pass and you have to stay out of the way of the folks that fish off the sea wall to the west. The current rips through there but wouldn't be at the tide change making it possible to bottom fish for some big boys near the structure. Otherwise, you might do good fishing ultralights and hunting black snapper and slot reds around docks.
BudYsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Snapper

Thanks. After I bought the boat, I went to Top Gun Tackle but Dan wasn't there. I spoke with a young man but I don't remember his name. He asked me what type of fishing we were interested in starting out with, and then proceeded to give his undivided attention. He didn't try to 'sucker' me into buying a bunch of unnecessary stuff though...just what he thought I would need to get my feet wet. As we shopped, he was constantly coaching me and giving me advise on how to rig for snapper, grouper, and so on. I was completely satisfied and have been back several times since. Good way to run a business if you ask me. Also, this forum is like getting a free college education. I'm as addicted to it as I am fishing. Thanks again and any more info is appreciated. See ya...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Mingo

Here are a few suggestions for inshore around Perdido and Orange Beach. I know that there are a lot of slot redfish around the Perdido Pass area. Many are coming from under the bridge itself. I personally do not like fishing right there as there are really only a couple of "safe spots" to fish. You cannot block the channel, which is marked by the red and green lights on the bridge itself. Also the current is often swift, and you are constantly getting banged around by boats coming to and fro under the bridge. If you can stand all that, then fish with fishfinder rigs near the pilings with live croakers, big shrimp, cut mullet, etc. (i.e. what redfish will bite) and you might luck into a handfull of reds there. As an alternative, keep in mind that redfish like any kind of structure, and that they also like to follow finger mullet schools around. The Carib condo complex is just east of the bridge and there is a breakwater that runs along their boat slips. The slot reds hang along that wall. I have caught a few there fishing 1/4 ounce jigheads with 3" Gulp! New Penny shrimp; they will also bite the rootbeer color. If you are fishing there you will be right close to the north side of Ono Island. There are a bunch of productive docks and boat houses all along that shoreline. Fish the Gulps around the structure and you should get some bites. A word about Gulp! lures. They work great but make sure you get at least three packs of whatever you choose. I know they are expensive but the baits are soft and tear up after two or three quality fish, and the piranhas (pinfish) love to nip them to pieces. Try the Gulp! Swimming Mullet on a 1/4 ounce jighead for flounder on the downcurrent side of dock pilings, too. There are some islands right there around the pass and the Bayou St. John side of them holds some good grass patches where you can find slot reds on an incoming tide milling around chasing finger mullet. You might try that. Finally, you might not believe me, but the Spanish Mackerel school up in Bayou St. John in the channel on the north side of Ono. Often you can see them and ladyfish intermixed tearing up baby alewives. A good way to catch them is to troll #0 (I believe is the size) Drone spoons in the Chartreuse Flash Scale color on a 40 lb. mono leader behind a #1 Sea Striker planer. Again, you might not believe me but I once even hooked a king mackerel standing on a dock on the North side of Ono drifting a finger mullet. Kinda weird hooking one in a totally enclosed area like that but it happened and it could happen again. If you need any further help, give us a call at Sam's Stop & Shop in Orange Beach (251) 981-4245. Ask for Mark, Bryan, or Mike. Good luck.
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Mingo

you dont need to go to the gulf to catch the fish you have been catching ,went yesterday inthe bay caught 8 red snapper the shortest one was 20 in ,three gags over 30 in,to spanish. last weekend we caught trigger in the same spot ,use boston mackerl with at least a 6-8 ft leader and a 1-2 oz weight ,youll have to find your own spot cant give you mine
Quicdraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Quicdraw (10/10/2008)you dont need to go to the gulf to catch the fish you have been catching ,went yesterday inthe bay caught 8 red snapper the shortest one was 20 in ,three gags over 30 in,to spanish. last weekend we caught trigger in the same spot ,use boston mackerl with at least a 6-8 ft leader and a 1-2 oz weight ,youll have to find your own spot cant give you mine
He is fishing in Alabama around the Perdido Pass. I don't think he wanted to run all the way to Pensacola Bay which is where it sounds like you were.
BudYsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Snapper

Thanks for all of the info and tips. We will certainly give some of this a try. And of course, I wouldn't ask for anybody's specific spots...just some of the 'recipes for success'. We are leaving shortly and I hope to get a run offshore tomorrow morning. After that, I'll be somewhere inside of Perdido Pass. Thanks again...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in