Inshore advice/help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Question Inshore advice/help

Hello All,

My family has been going to Pensacola every year during the summer for the past 20+ years.
This year we are going with a couple other friends during my birthday and we decided to rent a fishing boat for a day and probably go to piers/surf/bay the other days.

On my previous years I have fished from the public piers (Gulf breeze, Fort Pickens and Pensacola beach pier), some wade fishing off of the bay side of pensacola beach(eastern side near portofino) and some surf fishing.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on spots/reefs/wrecks on the bay side that i could access with boat(due to rental agreement, we are not allowed to go to gulf side). Boat does not come with trolling motor, so any easy drift grass flats that would require no(or little) trolling motors?

Also any recs on rigs, tackle and bait to use.

We would like to target fish we can take home for dinner(trout, redfish, sheeps, snapper(mangroves, reds, etc), pompanos, grouper)

Any help is highly apprecieated. Thank you in advance!
ps1135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3576.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is a well known grass flat in the sound that is usually productive. Throw DOA, mirrolure, live bait, etc. Also, the north side of the sound has lots of good grass.

Google Earth is your best friend for finding inshore stuff. Look for grass, points, dropoffs, etc. Just change the date slider to Jan 2018 for clear water imagery.

Fish the jetties around the pass with live bait too.
degaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thank you for the advice. I have been just using Google Maps and the Navionics app(for depth changes and such) to look, didn't think of Earth.

We were planning on staying more on the west side of pensacola bay(trying to stay closer to rental place so that we take advantage of fishing as much as possible). Any other grass flats further west? I see Big Lagoon looks like to have a good amount of grass. Or is it worth heading further east?

For live bait at the jetties(or in general), what kind of rig would you recommend? carolina style, dropper rig, cork or?
Also when it comes to live bait what do you prefer?

Idk if this would help with where to go... we will be there in july

Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Grouper

The grass flats in Big Lagoon are good for flats fishing, yes. The first set of docks on the north side as you leave Perdido State Park will hold fish sometimes, they have decent water under them. The grass flats in between the boat docks just west of Galvez Landing (Hub Stacy's on Innerrarity) are good for trout and sometimes reds as well. Can't go wrong with live shrimp around the jetties in the pass, and if you catch any palm to hand-sized pinfish throw them in a livewell and drift them in the pass on a bottom rig for bull reds. I like bottom rigs for the jetties but you'll lose some rigs to the rocks if you're not careful. In July you can find Spanish in Big Lagoon and PCola Bay north side of Pickens, also. Watch for busting on surface and birds.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in