INEXPENSIVE Rod and Reel Combos - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Trigger

Default INEXPENSIVE Rod and Reel Combos

Anyone have any experience with Quantum Optix Rod and Reel Combos, Shimano Sienna combos, or any other very inexpensive inshore spinning combos?

Looking to stay under $50. I am still in school with no income right now, but I will be out in a year. If they last longer than that great, if not, at least they were cheap. I really only get out once a month at this point anyway.

Thanks,
Daniel

ALSO - any line recommendations for inshore reds and trout would be helpful too.
danthemanx07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Topwater Addict
Snapper

I haven't had any experience with the cheap inshore spinning combos with the exception of a Walmart special I snagged one day just to have as a spare. I can't complain about the reel on that one but the rod has already busted a guide and hasn't been treated rough.

I'm primarily a baitcaster user but good old Stren high impact 10lb mono does great for every inshore fish I've ever caught. Never broken one off due to line strength.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Grouper

i love my shimano sienna
Bo Keifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Default Cheap equipment

Daniel
In my opinion, you would be better off buying quality used equipment than cheap new equipment.
The yearly neighborhood yard sale in Stonebrook is this Saturday (Pace, on Woodbine Road)
It may be worth looking there
Good luck
catchenbeatsfishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Land-Locked
Grouper

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Pursu...Combo/14649611
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I have a cheap shimano fx4000 combo I got for around 40 bucks I think. reel is fine but the top guide broke after about a month. might be bad luck or the saltwater though because Ive used cheap 30 dollar combos all my life for freshwater. most have lasted at least 5 years. had a 20 dollar quantum combo bought in '90 that lasted 15 years.
Yooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

When I was down at Perdido Key in August, Winn Dixie Food Store had inexpensive combination In Shore saltwater rigs in the store for something like 29.99 or 39.99. This was rod and reel and line........ You may want to check at Winn Dixies in Fla and Ala area to see....... Go Fishin!
RedfishJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Trigger

Sienna combo would be a good idea. However if you can find used quality reels cheap you can also learn how to do maintenance on the reels and make them last for a long time (I have some reels that are over 15 years old that I bought used but I keep them up and they last). However you have to catch them when someone is unloading or upgrading.
EmeraldGhostJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Trigger

Thanks for the input guys on the rod and reel and the line.

On used - I have been watching ebay and craigslist, but I havent had any luck. I have been primarily looking for used penns and shimanos though. Anything else I should be looking at?

I really am only looking for something inexpensive because I will begin a job next September and will have the money to upgrade then. If these last longer than that, then great.

I went around to several stores yesterday, and they were all out of both the Quantum and Shimano combos I was looking for.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Trigger

Well - I did not end up where I would have liked, but I surely achieved on the inexpensive part. I was under a time crunch because I am scheduled to fish Friday, so I settled on what I could get my hands on.

Here is what I ended up with for anyone that is interested. 2 Shimano IX4000r reels and 2 Shimano FX 6'6" rods - for under $60 total. Rigged with some 10lbs. test Ande clear mono (got on sale for $2.00 for a 1/4lb spool) with some 25lbs. Hi-Seas Fluorocarbon for leaders (the most expensive part I think).

I was hoping to get my hands on a couple of Ugly Stik Lite inshore spinning rods, but I could not find a store over here in New Orleans that carried more than one or two spinning models. I am not sure how the Shimano rods will hold up, but for the price, they will do until I have time to go to Cabelas, Bass Pro, or find a local shop with a better selection of rods. I opted for the cheaper Shimano reels after looking at a few video reviews online - I think they will be fine for now and good for backup reels down the road if I don't abuse them. VERY simple design - no frills.

Anyway - like I said - not where I wanted to be, but hopefully, these setups will work out for the time being.

ALSO - in the meantime, if anyone has any rod suggestions in the $30-50 range, let me know what I should be looking at if not an Ugly Stik.

Last edited by danthemanx07; 10-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in